homemade frame cradle klx drz125 easy and fast, adds 5hp

had about 45 minutes today, still waiting for rear bearings...

i noticed when putting in my LT-4WD camshaft, that my frame is cracked. first i thought the weld was undercut, but closer inspection revealed a crack.. being 280lbs, i needed to beef up the frame.

i fabbed up a frame brace for under the frame ( were there is no frame)

is there another forum with more info, active posters about the klx/drz125?

anyways, pics to come, i have to put them on with my phone.

i made it out of an old set of handlebars.. pics show 40-45 minutes of work.. i'm not bragging, i just run out of patience and start goobering everything, as seen in some of the fitment.. my tacks let go for the 3rd time and i just boogered it were it was, said the heck with it..

yup, there she is.. still needs some welding but she's in and it's dinner time.

again, i made this from an old set of handlebars.. no bending of tube at all, just cut it and slapped it on.

i've had this bike for about 5 days or so.. it would be nice to try and ride it one of these days.. bearings are due in on saturday.

next up is fork oil and spacers, if possible.?.

Edited by over rev

Nice! I'm considering how to get this done myself.

Don't weld, but I know a bunch of guys that do. Was trying to decide whether to butcher the KX100 frame that I'm taking the suspension off of for the DRZ (cut off the bottom of the cradle of the KX and weld it on the DRZ). I hate the thought of chopping up an otherwise perfectly good frame, but its not like they are rare. I haven't actually measured anything up yet, haven't even eye balled it, so not sure it will work, but that is my plan. If that doesn't work I'm going to see if my buddies have some round stock laying around and have them fab me something up. 

if you look in the first picture on post 3, you'll see a frame in the very lower left corner. i got a couple frames laying around and was going to make the brace from an old frame... i was looking at all the mods i'd have to do in order to piece a frame together into the correct dimensions and it was way to much work for a pieced together brace.

i had an old set of handlebars laying around and grabbed them.... it was crazy, it just fell together. looking at them i saw the rear bend i needed, and looking more i could see the from upsweep and rounded front. then i was left with just enuff to make the upright. crazy simple mod. i was only left with the crossbar, and a short section, all the rest of the handlebar made the brace

if you look in the first picture on post 3, you'll see a frame in the very lower left corner. i got a couple frames laying around and was going to make the brace from an old frame... i was looking at all the mods i'd have to do in order to piece a frame together into the correct dimensions and it was way to much work for a pieced together brace.

i had an old set of handlebars laying around and grabbed them.... it was crazy, it just fell together. looking at them i saw the rear bend i needed, and looking more i could see the from upsweep and rounded front. then i was left with just enuff to make the upright. crazy simple mod. i was only left with the crossbar, and a short section, all the rest of the handlebar made the brace

• Like 1