Sign in to follow this  

Oil drain plug bolt question

Had to post this here so I'd get a quick response so mods don't move Please. My parents 2006 Honda Foreman ES utility quads had the oil changed a few months back and since then haven't been ridden. I know I over filled them on accident and now it was dripping out of the drain plug bolt even though it was tight on there. I didn't cross thread the bolt when I put it back on or anything and there's no over flow hoses. Should I be worried about any engine or oil issues? They seem to be running fine and the dipstick does show I overfilled. So should I be Concerned or is that just a normal for the overfill since there is no overflow hose?

Had to post this here so I'd get a quick response so mods don't move Please. My parents 2006 Honda Foreman ES utility quads had the oil changed a few months back and since then haven't been ridden. I know I over filled them on accident and now it was dripping out of the drain plug bolt even though it was tight on there. I didn't cross thread the bolt when I put it back on or anything and there's no over flow hoses. Should I be worried about any engine or oil issues? They seem to be running fine and the dipstick does show I overfilled. So should I be Concerned or is that just a normal for the overfill since there is no overflow hose?

The overfill won't impact the seal on the drain plug.  If it is leaking, it will leak with too much oil or just a little.  If it is leaking enough, the too much could turn into too little.  There is a disposable aluminum washer that goes between the drain plug and the case.  This seals the plug when tightened to the correct torque, which is usually pretty low.  My suggestion would be to drain the oil, put a new washer on the drain plug, torque it to spec and refill.  If that doesn't solve the problem, check back.

The overfill won't impact the seal on the drain plug. If it is leaking, it will leak with too much oil or just a little. If it is leaking enough, the too much could turn into too little. There is a disposable aluminum washer that goes between the drain plug and the case. This seals the plug when tightened to the correct torque, which is usually pretty low. My suggestion would be to drain the oil, put a new washer on the drain plug, torque it to spec and refill. If that doesn't solve the problem, check back.

Just ran it around the block, ran fine and not leaking and the dip stick is still about the same level. Gonna ride it more tomorrow afternoon and sew how it goes.