Sign in to follow this  

California Swapping a WR250F frame onto YZ250F = Green Sticker?

I am thinking about getting back into riding (after taking a couple of years off due to school, work, and other stuff going on in my life ) and I am faced with the same dilema as before, do I get the newer YZ250F motocross bike that is lighter, faster, etc and has all of the new technology but has a red sticker, or do I get the older, slower, heavier, WR250F that has a green sticker.  I dont race, and I am slow and inexperienced, but I do like riding tracks more than anything else.  However, my fiance is getting into riding as well, but she only likes to go riding trails and at OHV parts where the red/green sticker laws are enforced.  Because of this, having a green sticker bike is a necessity.  Ideally I would have two bikes, my green sticker bike for riding during the summer with her, and a 2014 yz250f for riding at private tracks but I can't afford that.  So I am trying to decide whether or not to get a wr or yz.  

Then today I thought of buying a new(er) yz250f complete bike and then buying a 2007+ aluminum frame from a wr250f from ebay that comes with a title.   I was thinking of getting a yz250f that is a 2006-2009 so it has the same aluminum frame as the 2007+ wr250f.  I think any yz250f that is 2010 or newer has a different frame design??  Someone correct me if I am wrong.   

Has anyone else done this before?  Did it work out or did the DMV somehow figure it out?? (I dont see how they woudl though??).  Also does anyone know if all of the parts from the yz250f 2006-2009 will bolt onto a 2007+ wr250f aluminum frame?  I am 90% sure it will but I would like someone to confirm??

^^ great contribution to the OP's concern

OP just get a green sticker bike and ride the shit out of it with your future ex wife

You said it yourself, you're slow and inexperienced.. That's an ok thing, why buy\build some hybrid pos if you can't ride hard/fast enough to tell the difference?

The way I think, if you really love riding, you will ride anything, clapped out pos or even a ktm

Beat up an oldr bike that you don't give a shit about, in a year get the newer bike and use it as a track only bike, and have the green sticker to cruise with the ole lady

You don't have to take my advise but I have been doing this shit for 18 months now

• Like 5

Another option is to buy an older 2002 or earlier yz250 or yz250f (or any other brand mx bike). Another option is to get a WR450.  After 2005 they are green sticker.  They are heavy but much more powerful than the 250.  If you are talking brand new the 2014 WR450 is pretty good on a motocross track.  I have a 2006 WR450 and love it.

^^ great contribution to the OP's concern

Actually it is.  After reading the effort he would go to get a green sticker on his dream bike he should shoot for a plate instead.  But I'll worry about my posts Jimmy.  You worry about yours.  :thumbsup:

Actually it is. After reading the effort he would go to get a green sticker on his dream bike he should shoot for a plate instead. But I'll worry about my posts Jimmy. You worry about yours. :thumbsup:

Way to attack the thread attack the buddy

I am thinking about getting back into riding (after taking a couple of years off due to school, work, and other stuff going on in my life ) and I am faced with the same dilema as before, do I get the newer YZ250F motocross bike that is lighter, faster, etc and has all of the new technology but has a red sticker, or do I get the older, slower, heavier, WR250F that has a green sticker.  I dont race, and I am slow and inexperienced, but I do like riding tracks more than anything else.  However, my fiance is getting into riding as well, but she only likes to go riding trails and at OHV parts where the red/green sticker laws are enforced.  Because of this, having a green sticker bike is a necessity.  Ideally I would have two bikes, my green sticker bike for riding during the summer with her, and a 2014 yz250f for riding at private tracks but I can't afford that.  So I am trying to decide whether or not to get a wr or yz.  

Then today I thought of buying a new(er) yz250f complete bike and then buying a 2007+ aluminum frame from a wr250f from ebay that comes with a title.   I was thinking of getting a yz250f that is a 2006-2009 so it has the same aluminum frame as the 2007+ wr250f.  I think any yz250f that is 2010 or newer has a different frame design??  Someone correct me if I am wrong.   

Has anyone else done this before?  Did it work out or did the DMV somehow figure it out?? (I dont see how they woudl though??).  Also does anyone know if all of the parts from the yz250f 2006-2009 will bolt onto a 2007+ wr250f aluminum frame?  I am 90% sure it will but I would like someone to confirm??

Buy a YZ, get a WR headlight cowl and lamp, remove the YZ labels, and  put a removable green sticker holder on the fork clamp, with a green sticker on it, and you probably will never get hassled. 

Or do what I did: Buy a 2008 WR450, put in YZ cams, stage 3 Port and polish the head, YZ front and rear suspension of ebay.  it's 21 lbs heavier than a YZ with similar off-road goodies (tank, guards, etc)

Don't even bother with a WR250; way too slow.

Or buy the brand new lightweight wr250f and be done with it. Plates are over rated and not worth the double price of a non plated bike.

I just want to ride.

I don't care at all about plates just green sticker. The thing is u can buy a newer used yz250f for a lot cheaper tag the same year wr250f. So although this project would be a pain in the ass, it would save me money because I could buy a 2008 yz250f for $2400 instead of $4000+ for a 2008 wr250f. And the purchase of the frame would be a wash because I could sell the ya frame to recoup the cost of the wr frame

I don't care at all about plates just green sticker. The thing is u can buy a newer used yz250f for a lot cheaper tag the same year wr250f. So although this project would be a pain in the ass, it would save me money because I could buy a 2008 yz250f for $2400 instead of $4000+ for a 2008 wr250f. And the purchase of the frame would be a wash because I could sell the ya frame to recoup the cost of the wr frame

Let me think this through...  a plate for $31 that lets me ride year round anywhere...  or MEGA BUCKS TO COMPLETELY REBUILD A BIKE.  :thinking:

I'm still thinking...  :bonk:

• Like 1