New brake pads gone in 3 rides

My friend put new rear brake pads on his bike. He is not fast. He does use mostly back brake, but he is a beginner. In 3 rides, I watched his brake pads go from full to non existent.

What could this possibly be? The only thing I can possibly think of is if he is dragging his rear brake inadvertently constantly. It's a 450. Or if it could be adjusted wrong, but I'm not sure there even is a way to adjust it.

Improperly installed (pads not in caliper completely) bent rotor as previously mention (spin the rear tire while bike on a stand. If the caliper rocks bent rotor confirmed) or bad brake dragger. If he's a new rider anyway take off his rear lever to force him to learn the front brake. My dad did this when I started learning. Front brake is 90% of your controlled stopping. And it doesn't shoot you over the bars how people (beginners) think. You have to hit them real hard just to nose wheelie with your weight forward. If weights back front tire will lock before throwing him over.

If he is that new to riding that he doesnt know that he should be using mostly front brake, then he shouldnt be on a 450 in the first place. If he bough cheap pads that could be the problem. I paid $6 for some pads for one of my raptors and they were gone in about 10 hours. He is most likely dragging the brake.

If its a KTM, check and make sure the pedal adjuster isn't screwed out too far causing pressure to be applied.

I lost a jamb nut off mine, the screw vibrated out further and further each time I hit the brake until it locked up.

So check adjustments.

If its a KTM, check and make sure the pedal adjuster isn't screwed out too far causing pressure to be applied.

I lost a jamb nut off mine, the screw vibrated out further and further each time I hit the brake until it locked up.

So check adjustments.

Holy crap mine did that too. It pissed me off to no end. It would lock up, i would loosen the bleeder nipple and relieve the pressure then it would be fine for 30 minutes or so,,,, then it would lock up again. My dad and I couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. We rebuilt the master cylinder and the caliper and nothing helped. I got so mad at that dang bike I was about ready to sell it. Eventually I figured out that i lost that nut and the bolt would tighten up every time i hit the brake. This was 5 or 6 years ago. I'm not quite that dumb now.

• Like 1