Sign in to follow this  

Should I make the trade?

I have a trade that I scheduled for Saturday morning.  It consists of my 2001 KTM 125sx for a kids 1997 kx125 (144).  I think now I'm having second thoughts.  Somebody point me in the right direction.  It's a proposed even swap btw.

Background:  I got this 125sx last year.  The bike was kind of ratty,but I put some time and money into it (a few hundred dollars) and it is in fair condition now.  However, after doing the top end and replating the cylinder about 5 hrs ago, I think the bottom end is toast now. Its very rattley sounds like grinding coming from bottom end.  I have most all the parts to rebuild it now,minus a new connecting rod.  

Enter the KX:  Dude wants to trade me his 1997 kx125 (144) 

His ad:  http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/4469176265.html

I need advice.

Based upon what you have explained, I would not make the trade.

Get the last part you need and fix your bike, this way you know it can be relied upon.

• Like 2

Judging from his grammar and usage of words, it doesn't sound like one who would do proper upkeep and maintenance on their bikes..... but who am I to judge.

But then again you're about to trade your basket case with his too, so I'd say it's a pretty fair trade.

Don't do it. His bike is worth less than $600 to me, and he wouldn't get that here if he were selling it. Fix you bike and ride it.

Where do you live?

• Like 1

The use of the word yo and the fact that he doesn't know the difference between brake and break would make me pass.

• Like 1

I have a trade that I scheduled for Saturday morning. It consists of my 2001 KTM 125sx for a kids 1997 kx125 (144). I think now I'm having second thoughts. Somebody point me in the right direction. It's a proposed even swap btw.

Background: I got this 125sx last year. The bike was kind of ratty,but I put some time and money into it (a few hundred dollars) and it is in fair condition now. However, after doing the top end and replating the cylinder about 5 hrs ago, I think the bottom end is toast now. Its very rattley sounds like grinding coming from bottom end. I have most all the parts to rebuild it now,minus a new connecting rod.

Enter the KX: Dude wants to trade me his 1997 kx125 (144)

His ad: http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/4469176265.html

I need advice.

I'd say that's a worm gear (hose) clamp holding the silencer on. Pass

Another wonder of craigslist... He says it's freshly rebuild but it leaks oil? Never raced but he wants to buy a new bike to race? He forgot to say low hours, vet owned, always garaged. Don't do it!!! Fix your ktm!!!

• Like 1

Well that looks like an almost unanimous NO.

I guess its the impulse buyer in me that wants this thing.  

Thanks for talking me off the ledge.  

Don't do it. His bike is worth less than $600 to me, and he wouldn't get that here if he were selling it. Fix you bike and ride it.

Where do you live?

Plymouth county.  Where do you live?

• Like 1

Well that looks like an almost unanimous NO.

I guess its the impulse buyer in me that wants this thing.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge.

Plymouth county. Where do you live?

Woo! I am also in Plymouth county, where about are you?

I live in Duxbury

My grandmother lives in duxbury, she's a hypnotist lol. Im from west Bridgewater, so far you're the closest guy I've met here :p

That kx looks like it should have went with the cash for clunkers , What a turd  :lol: . It's probably a 144 bore from it having the same piston in it since 97' . Keep your bike and build it. Then you know what you have . 

• Like 1

Judging from his grammar and usage of words, it doesn't sound like one who would do proper upkeep and maintenance on their bikes..... but who am I to judge.

But then again you're about to trade your basket case with his too, so I'd say it's a pretty fair trade.

I agree with you on this one. There's a first time for everything i guess.

Hahaha.  yeah well this KTM is only a polished turd.  

Keep polishing that turd i did . It doesn't necessarily cost a lot of money. Sandpaper, compound, buffing wheel , tasteful painting , and a whole lot of cleaning will go a long way. The bike you have is a good start of having a great bike . Put the time in and you will get awesome results . Then post some pics  :thumbsup:

IMG_2106.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

I have a trade that I scheduled for Saturday morning.  It consists of my 2001 KTM 125sx for a kids 1997 kx125 (144).  I think now I'm having second thoughts.  Somebody point me in the right direction.  It's a proposed even swap btw.

Background:  I got this 125sx last year.  The bike was kind of ratty,but I put some time and money into it (a few hundred dollars) and it is in fair condition now.  However, after doing the top end and replating the cylinder about 5 hrs ago, I think the bottom end is toast now. Its very rattley sounds like grinding coming from bottom end.  I have most all the parts to rebuild it now,minus a new connecting rod.  

Enter the KX:  Dude wants to trade me his 1997 kx125 (144) 

His ad:  http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/4469176265.html

I need advice.

It's pretty bad not to tell a buyer about your bottom end being roached.. not saying you haven't told him, but my conscience would force me to. 

But I would just keep it, replace the bottom end and ride it.  Or, since I would never ride a 125, just sell it as is including parts to fix it, and buy a 200 or somethin :)

It's pretty bad not to tell a buyer about your bottom end being roached.. not saying you haven't told him, but my conscience would force me to. 

But I would just keep it, replace the bottom end and ride it.  Or, since I would never ride a 125, just sell it as is including parts to fix it, and buy a 200 or somethin :)

Oh I made it very clear that it needs a bottom end.  I would never screw someone over like that.   

I would love to own a ktm 200xc btw  :thumbsup:

The plan is that I will tear down the motor this weekend.  I'll order up anything that needs replacing and put it back together, done right.  

As this is a second bike to me, I will plan on selling it once completed.  

I'll try to post pics of the process.  So stay tuned to find out what the damage really is.

• Like 2