Sign in to follow this  

California San Diego 50+ Track Riders

Had motorcycles my whole life, dirt bikes when I was a kid to now commuting 100 miles everyday on a 1200GS. Recently picked up a CRF250R to ride with my 9yr old on his CRF70. Been 35 years since I motocrossed but I have gone to RPMX 4 times lately and enjoy the hell out of it. May even race someday when I get older! Problem is I dont know anyone my age that is interested in this stuff around here. It would be great to ride with other "old men" that can teach me a thing or two or who are also getting a late start on the track. Anyone with the same issues in San Diego?

I ain't 50, but pretty close. The track is a awful lot of fun. My first time on a real track was a couple years ago. I started slow and told my self no big air (big air to me). The first lap I was tame, each lap the tame ness left further and further away from me. The guys that dragged me to the track couldn't drag me away from the track. I was diggin it big time.

I was riding a WR 400 and my bike told me when I was done. Both fenders and the headlight broke off. My handle bars were bent too, never even went down. After a couple beers and guys showing me a few pictures of the air I was getting I was suprised I lived threw it.

Right now I'm debating on buying a new beta 300 (rock crawler) or a yz450 for some more track riding

• Like 1

I just turned 51 a couple of weeks ago, I am actually in better shape now than I was 5 years ago. Definately dont take the same risks I did at 20 (too many responsiblities to get a bad injury). This does hold me back a bit on the track but the more I go the more confidence I get. Havent found my limits yet. You must have been flying to do that damage on the enduro, imagine if you had the right bike! Better get one and find out.

• Like 1

I'm not that old or new to track track riding, but what I can say is the more people you have to ride with (or just hang out at the truck in between motos), the more fun you will have. I've ridden with folks of all ages and skill level from TT, and all of them have been good peoples. For the most part age and skill level don't matter, it's more about attitude and people who love riding.

Edited by Die_trying
  • Like 4

I'm in the San Diego area too, 56 years old, riding since I was 17.  I don't ride track (always had XRs anyway - not a track bike hence the avatar "SLOW") but admire those that do.  Admittedly, I ride 90% street and very little off-road.  The few times a year I do drag the XR out, I head out to Kern County somewhere.

Had motorcycles my whole life, dirt bikes when I was a kid to now commuting 100 miles everyday on a 1200GS. Recently picked up a CRF250R to ride with my 9yr old on his CRF70. Been 35 years since I motocrossed but I have gone to RPMX 4 times lately and enjoy the hell out of it. May even race someday when I get older! Problem is I dont know anyone my age that is interested in this stuff around here. It would be great to ride with other "old men" that can teach me a thing or two or who are also getting a late start on the track. Anyone with the same issues in San Diego?

Same story here, stopped riding at 20 just got bike last year, barely skipped a beat at 49. Riding trails and desert ..out of Murrieta.

Rode in the hills of New York as a kid, trail riding, smaller bike..KE 175. Alot more fun with YZ426.

Give me a couple more rides with you guys, a little tweaking of my suspension..I'll be right there with all your " KTMs". lol

• Like 2

Next weekend is supposed to be in the low to mid 80s by 2PM. Morning will be cool..

Come on out and burn some fuel with us.

I ain't 50, but pretty close. The track is a awful lot of fun. My first time on a real track was a couple years ago. I started slow and told my self no big air (big air to me). The first lap I was tame, each lap the tame ness left further and further away from me. The guys that dragged me to the track couldn't drag me away from the track. I was diggin it big time.

I was riding a WR 400 and my bike told me when I was done. Both fenders and the headlight broke off. My handle bars were bent too, never even went down. After a couple beers and guys showing me a few pictures of the air I was getting I was suprised I lived threw it.

Right now I'm debating on buying a new beta 300 (rock crawler) or a yz450 for some more track riding

Unless you are fast, a 300rr will get you around the track just fine...just turn in the clickers. When my XC was down I was racing motocross with my xcw for a while. No biggie. Like stated above, motocross isn't as much about riding with people of similar skill levels as it is being with cool people.

• Like 1

When I was 55 and I rode my KX at Milestone, Piru, and I5 MX for about a year, a few years ago.

The good tracks (zaca, CE, etc) were just too far away for regular riding, especially with the limited practice schedules the 'better' tracks have.

So no more soup for me.

Now I ride as often, but twice as many hours, doing off road. 

Waybetta

I was just riding I-5 with a couple of 70+ year old kids.  They got around the track just fine.  Their goal was an hour of moto.  1 of them did it in 2 sessions!  :36 , and :24 .  That's impressive regardless of age....

• Like 3

Two 70+ riders is great to hear. You get back in at 50, start spending money on everything you need and wonder if your nuts. Knowing there are guys still riding at 70 makes me realize I still may have 20 years to ride in the dirt if I keep myself in good shape! Maybe I should go ahead and buy that tire changing stand. I'll be at the RPMX this weekend riding their National track.

• Like 1