Sign in to follow this  

Clutch sticking in 1st

So my 03 kx125 is great it has a new top and bottom end low hours but I trail ride and it seems as if the clutch sticks.

When I'm rolling in 1st and hold the clutch and give gas it will continue to drive unless I also hold the brakes

If I'm at a stop in 1st and hold the clutch all the way in the bike dies unless I give it gas, also if I'm idling and hold clutch all the way and shift it dies right away unless I rev it.

Your clutch needs to be adjusted. How much "slack" is there before it engages at the lever?

• Like 1

You should be able to fit a nickel between the perch and lever, with the clutch being disengaged. However it sounds as if you could fit more

You should be able to fit a nickel between the perch and lever, with the clutch being disengaged. However it sounds as if you could fit more

Saw that in the latest MXA. Now I have to adjust mine, although it doesn't act up or do anything lol.

It's an easy fix, and all you need is a wrench and adjust the cable near the perch.

I can post pics if you need em.

Saw that in the latest MXA. Now I have to adjust mine, although it doesn't act up or do anything lol.

It's an easy fix, and all you need is a wrench and adjust the cable near the perch.

I can post pics if you need em.

Mxa did a write up about it? That's just been my rule of thumb for about a year and a half now :p

Also I tried adjusting it with the adjustment right by the lever

I made it really tight and really loose non of which helped

Do you think that there might be something else because I don't want to drop all that money lol

Mxa did a write up about it? That's just been my rule of thumb for about a year and a half now :p

They did a write up 25 years ago about it.

• Like 1

Yes, you're going to find a notched clutch basket, and possibly the inner hub as well.

I recommend the Barnett basket. It uses stainless inserts between the fingers of the basket so the clutch plate tabs CAN'T cut grooves in the basket. You'll never have to replace it again. The stainless inserts also have the added benefit of making the clutch pull easier and the action is smoother, because the plates slide more easily across the hard stainless than they do across softer aluminum.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/470/kawasaki/0/0/2003-kawasaki-kx-125.html

cat_30.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

start with the adjustment and then if that does not yield results, pull your clutch down to see what is worn to include measuring your clutch plates too.