Sign in to follow this  

93 RM250 Brand New Top End

Have a 1993 RM250 brand new top end .5 over 210 PSI compression, really hard to kick start unless its warm it seems to fire easier. I took the plug out and it seems dry, When I push start it the bike immediately fires and runs fine ( wont idle ) has a brand new 45 main jet. I was thinking reed's or floats but why is the plug completely dry initially kicking it any tips would be great thanks!

I went out and put a new plug in kicked it over 30 times took the plug out its completely dry! FMF jetting calls for a 55 I have a 45.... Im guessing its able to draw fuel threw the smaller jet while push starting it but not by kicking it? Is this my problem? The bowl is full but the plug is dry. I am just not understanding why once the bike is push started ( starts in one fire) and is warm I can easily kick start it again? Thanks to anyone who can help

I own a 93 and a 95 RM250 and both can be a pain in the leg to start. I'll throw a few things out.

I put a new PWK on the 93 and it seems to be a much better carb than the old PJ. The choke actually seems to do something. That choke/idle screw on the PJ doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm not sure how to describe this, but sometimes I get more revolutions from the the kick starter than other times, it seems to engage higher and is much more likely to start. Always needs a good strong kick.

I hate to start the old starter fluid argument, but spraying a little bit on the air filter works wonders, starts right up.

They always fire right up with a push start. Most of the time I just roll down the the hill off the driveway and put them in gear.

I'd try a little starting fluid just to make sure it's a fuel problem and then see if you can get the choke to work.