Sign in to follow this  

tying down 2 bikes...cant get them straight, and solid.

Hey guys, just curious as to any tips or tricks to getting 2 bikes to stay very solid and straight in the truck?

is there a certain side to tighten first?

I use a fork block on 1 bike, and nothing on the other, and yet they still seem to want to fall towards the inside of the truck when I turn and hit bikes.  nothing bad happens... they just tip a little bit and one strap gets a tiny bit loose for a split second. ya know? 

I tend to put them VERY close to the outside of the box, almost right over the wheel wells so the handlebars dont hit, and because sometimes I put a 3rd in there too, but then that makes the outside strap very short, and pulling more forward than sideways, could that be the problem??

ANY advice would be appreciated.... cant believe after 350 engine hours on this current bike and 8 years on a dirtbike im asking this.

I learned that to make the bikes secure the straps must go down at an angle to pull the bike forward agaist the front of the bed and sideways to keep it upright.  I add two more straps to the rear on each bike and the bikes  stay put, if one strap fails there is another to keep the bike upright.  I also put the front wheels into the front corners of the bed, but the outside strap needs to go to the rail for a correct pull (the inside straps go to an eye in the center front of the bed).

Tieing handle bars together helps if they are close enough, I've done that with a 3rd bike but sometimes it is easier to load it backwards to the other two.

When the bikes are close to the side of the bed the outside strap is nearly vertical.  That lets the bike lean to the inside because the strap will lean with the bike.  The trick is to pull the outside tie down tight and actually have the bike leaning a bit toward the outside of the truck.  That way the strap is too "short" to let it come over the top and the bike lean toward the middle.  I haul bikes like this all the time with zero issues.

Edited by mikedabike

The front straps should be at an angle relative to the axis of the bike.  I am new to dirt biking and it took me 2 weekend trips to successfully tie down 3 dirt bikes on a trailer such that they all stayed upright for the trip there and back.  One would have thought that I could have done it successfully in 1 try, but that was not the case.

Hey guys, just curious as to any tips or tricks to getting 2 bikes to stay very solid and straight in the truck?

I use a fork block on 1 bike, and nothing on the other, and yet they still seem to want to fall towards the inside of the truck when I turn and hit bikes.  nothing bad happens... they just tip a little bit and one strap gets a tiny bit loose for a split second. ya know? 

I tend to put them VERY close to the outside of the box, almost right over the wheel wells so the handlebars dont hit, and because sometimes I put a 3rd in there too, but then that makes the outside strap very short, and pulling more forward than sideways, could that be the problem??

ANY advice would be appreciated.... cant believe after 350 engine hours on this current bike and 8 years on a dirtbike im asking this.

The best arrangement I've found is to turn both bikes' front wheels to the center of the truck bed so they touch in the very middle.  This way the handlebars will be turned so they don't touch, bikes won't move when strapped down, and you can kick the rear wheels to the bed's side and close most tailgates. 

Wish I had a picture to load, but you can find them on TTalk

Quit hitting bikes?

• Like 1

Side pull is key. Vertical straps are not very secure. You might face one forward and one backward so you can get them closer together and closer to the center of the bed to get more side pull.

I lean the bike together, once i only had 2 straps. Put the handlebars close, strap on the handle bars if the bike on the right, to the left tie down, and vice versa. Then angle each back tire towards the outside of the bed and close the tailgate. If i have 4 straps then tie them both down.

I have a short box and cant close the tailgate with both bikes in it ever.

also, have a huge lift so I cant get one bike in backwards.   I think I just need them more towards the center of the truck and if I tied the rear tire so they dont bounce would help a ton too.  thats a 12 foot ramp I believe that I custom made. 

ictrmp.jpg

Edited by cdf450

I have a short box and cant close the tailgate with both bikes in it ever.

also, have a huge lift so I cant get one bike in backwards. I think I just need them more towards the center of the truck and if I tied the rear tire so they dont bounce would help a ton too. thats a 12 foot ramp I believe that I custom made.

ictrmp.jpg

A always put a ratchet strap between the shock and frame if i can't use the bed Edited by zotis777

I bungee my back tire down on my steel mesh floor trailer. I think it helps. The more the merrier really. Dragging a bike with a truck or trailer isn't pretty.

+1 on bike leaning slightly out. I always put the inside / long tie down first. Than pull short / outside while compressing forks down.

IMG_20140318_160124.jpg

When the bikes are close to the side of the bed the outside strap is nearly vertical.  That lets the bike lean to the inside because the strap will lean with the bike.  The trick is to pull the outside tie down tight and actually have the bike leaning a bit toward the outside of the truck.  That way the strap is too "short" to let it come over the top and the bike lean toward the middle.  I haul bikes like this all the time with zero issues.

:thumbsup:

Use a second tie down on the outside (bed rail side) from the bars backwards to the middle of the bed over the wheel well. triangulating the steep angle on the outside tie downs gets rid of the problem you are describing.

For two bikes I just use four straps. Front end in first, one strap on each side of handle bars. I use the pull type that automatically lock as you pull, not the ratchet type. Bikes straight in front wheel tight against front of bed, tailgate open. Pull tight compressing front shock a few inches.

http://www.realtruck.com/keeper-stake-pocket-tie-downs/?productid=26899&cparam=1896021&utm_campaign=product_ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CJbtpYC9g78CFQdgfgodvE8AVQ I position my bikes as wide possible, right out next to the bed rail. I have found the tie down hook location is the key. Attach tie downs to the top of steak pocket using these.