Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke oil to gas ratio

i just got a rm 125 and i am wondering what the gas to oil ratio is for it. i have heard 32:1 and some one even said 20:1. so i am wondering what the best ratio is for it.

Each bike is different.  People commonly mistaken "spooge" as running rich, so in attempt to fix the problem, they mixed fuel with less oil parts to gas...... but then think about it.  If you mix less oil parts into gas parts, then there will be more gas than oil per volume, meaning you will actually 'richen' the mixture instead.  It's always good to run it a bit more oil just to be on the safe side, but really you should take out your spark plug and see what it tells you.

Me, I like to stay somewhere in the middle...... 40:1.

Edited by Honda_Power

i just got a rm 125 and i am wondering what the gas to oil ratio is for it. i have heard 32:1 and some one even said 20:1. so i am wondering what the best ratio is for it.

32:1

• Like 2

I wouldnt recommend 20:1, thats a little too much oil. 32:1, 40:1, and 50:1 would all be safe. I run 40:1.

I haven't posted this in a while, and this seems like as good a thread as any...

Pre-Mix 101

Looks like it's time for a little pre-mix 101. I don't usually get into ratio discussions, because mix ratios are like religions to most people, and they tend to be closed-minded and hard-headed on the subject, but I'll put in my $.02 here anyway. 

Anyone that believes that spooge and plug fouling are caused by too much oil in the mix is flat out wrong. If you know how to jet, you can run any amount of oil you choose, and have absolutely zero spooge.

There is a prevailing myth that less oil is better. This simply isn't the case. While there isn't a magic "one-size-fits-all" mix ratio, and it is possible to use too much oil for your conditions, generally speaking, more oil is better, within certain limitations.

When an engine is jetted too rich, the excess fuel leeches heat from the combustion process, causing the combustion chamber temperatures to be too low to effectively burn the oil, or even completely burn all of the fuel. The result is spooge and deposits. The spooge is nothing more than unburned fuel and oil passing out the http://www.maximausa...l-migration.php

Let the flames begin. I'm in a feisty mood today, a good debate would be much fun!

• Like 3

But, what's the ratio of pixy dust used for the magical invisible Honda cr125, that is just too powerful for a dyno?

?????HP?????

It's a Honda. It doesn't need anything silly like oil. :bonk:

So all HP's R&D truly helped!

Glad we got that cleared up.

• Like 1

But, what's the ratio of pixy dust used for the magical invisible Honda cr125, that is just too powerful for a dyno?

?????HP???

I heard maleficent is trading in the broom for a CR125 in the new Disney movie?  Could HP be the luv child of her and donkey at a 40:1 ignorance to knowledge ratio?

BTW rideslikecrack, I luv what you did with the pink doilies under the shot glasses at the pie social.  Perfect touch!!!!

• Like 2

32:1 and jet accordingly use good premix . 

Simple answer:  It does not matter that much.  Most bikes come from the factory jetted to run 28:1 - 32:1.  The sticker on your bike only refers to the factory jetting.  You can rejet your bike to run any mixture of oil.  That's all there is to it.  Most of us run 32-40:1 which means are bikes run richer (more fuel) than intended so we generally drop the jet sizes in the carb a few steps.  Lets say a YZ 250 is stock 68 on the pilot and 180 on the main at 28:1 but if you run 40:1 you may drop to 56 on the pilot and 172 on the main.  I like to run 32:1 because it makes the numbers easy.  One pint of oil does 4 gallons of gas.  Many cans don't fit 5 gallons which makes it difficult to run 40:1 because 1 pint to 5 gallons equals 40:1.  And, it's freakin' hard to burn 5 gallons in a weekend if you are a weekend warrior as I am.  Plus, the oil acts as a fuel stabilizer.  Remember, if there are a million opinions about it it's because nobody's opinion actually matters.

• Like 1

Your bike's jetting determines what mixture you should use. I'd recommend 32:1 with a 125, so look up what jetting specs are suggested for ur bike at XYZ altitude, and if the manual says run 32:1, use that jetting. But if the bike runs pingy, or the RPMs hesitate to lower on desceleration, then richen the jetting more.