Sign in to follow this  

New to Beta

Well, after some great info and advice, I went and joined the Beta crew.  And I love it.  It's hard not to love a new bike but this one really is so damn good.  The estart is crazy.  You hardly get your finger off the button and she's fired up.

Beta Beauty.jpg

Check out this anodized skid plate the guys I bought it from had made at Ricochet in Salt Lake City.

Beta <a href='https://thumpertalk.com/link/click/4488/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4488' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>skidplate.</a>jpg

Now for handguards, as the front end washed out and I layed it down at speed in some very nasty little sharp rocks, rearranging the skin on the back of my fingers.  I've always been partial to Pro Moto Billet/Fastway products as they are made in Idaho, so that's what I thought I was going to do.  No luck.  After multiple attempts to purchase them, both online and directly from them,  I received an email stating they were NOT going to produce them for our bikes.  Not enough demand was the stated reason.  Wow.  I wonder if they have been keeping track of how fast these bikes are flying of the shelves?  Anyway,  I ordered some Cycra CRMs and I'm putting them on this weekend.  I'll let you know what I think. I am so jonesing to ride this weekend.

Subby

• Like 1

Nice choice! And Welcome!

Yeah quality handguards should be on any dirtbike prior to leaving the garage.

Enjoy!

Subby,

You mentioned front end washout.  The Beta is light up front, and demands a weight shift forward for turns, but will rail with best when ridden like this.  A few things help mitigate this however: 

Race sag 100 - 105mm, with proper spring.

Your fork PFP is probably at 2 turns in, back it out to 0 turns, then in as much as you need to firm things up for the terrain and speed.  Get a 22mm box wrench, grind it thinner to fit under the bars,  and releive the edge by the handle to clear the cap.  Smooth all the sharp edges.  The PFP knob is soft so be careful, go easy and don't force it against the stop. 

Rebound valving is too light, run the adjuster in past 10 and see how you like it.  Run the comp around 15-18 out.

You can raise the fork in the Tclamps to the 2nd line with no ill affects on stability as far as I can tell.

Getting into the fork now, its better with a slightly lower outer chamber oil level, 300 - 310 cc.  The PFP system is stiff and does a good job at controlling bottoming without high oil levels.

Move the spring perch to the "0" preload position

From here on its into the cartridge for valving tweaks but stock is pretty good for starters and these minor adjustments make it settle a lot better.

Subby; I have the CRM's on my 300 with the Sachs forks, check into the center mount brackets from Cycra or others if you cut your bars. I am going to have to do this as it limits me in raising the forks after taking my bars to 29.5". I believe someone reported the BRP top bar clamp for the KTM will fit our bar brackets, but it is kind of spendy, the one thing I am going to try first is to cut the small protrusion from each side of the bar clamp and see if I can move the mount in closer and gain the clearance.

GP,

So much more great info.  I appreciate it greatly. I will have to check all that out in the next week.  I put those Cycras on Sat and went riding some fairly steep, rocky trails, from 5400' to over 8K.  This bike makes them truly tasty.  I had to lower the forks all the way to the top line just to clear the handguards, so that's something that I'll need to figure out in the next while, though much of my riding is at speed so I'm not sure that position won't work just fine.  You're right on the lack of rebound dampening.  I've gone 3 clicks more but still getting some pretty good kick.  The engine is an absolute tractor, with the hyd clutch being the icing.  Can't say enough about it.  Just got to get riding it more.  Keep the tips coming.  Thanks again.

mtdirtbag,

Ya, mounting those CRMs meant lowering the forks as far as possible but they ended up working. I noticed they have a bar that looks like it connects the 2 handguards together in the middle and maybe connects to the clamp?  I really wanted the Fastway setup, as my son has these on his KTM and they are super sturdy and you never have to worry about them rotating on the bars. Honestly, unless I have a lot of problems with them working loose constantly, I won't be laying out the cash for the BRP setup.  But good to know it's there.  Where you at in Montana?

I've always been partial to Pro Moto Billet/Fastway products as they are made in Idaho, so that's what I thought I was going to do.  No luck.  After multiple attempts to purchase them, both online and directly from them,  I received an email stating they were NOT going to produce them for our bikes.  Not enough demand was the stated reason.  Wow.  I wonder if they have been keeping track of how fast these bikes are flying of the shelves? 

Subby

The PMB guys could use some help for sure - they have a great Beta product and don't even know it. Every Beta we sell has either the Fastway FIT III's (univeral fit) or the FIT II's (you've got to choose the KTM pattern and get stuck with orange and black shields unless you order extra). Easy to mount and very clean leaving lots of room on the bars for goodies and no interference to the fork caps.

Welcome aboard BTW.

You could also go with the more universal Bike Bonz mounts, and use any handguard you choose including the Cycras.  For Scotts damper mount integration then the Fastway is easiest, but I have done my own mounting plates to work with Bike Bonz.

Not sure what is up with the guy you talked with at PMB.  Everyone I have talked to are all over the Beta stuff.  I didn't know that my F.I.T. guards wouldn't work.

IMG_1002_zps7a9d05c0.jpg

I better take them off   :rolleyes:

Subby,  Where in Utah are you?  Lets Ride! 

enmerdeur,

Dang! That's exactly what I wanted! Do they interfere with the odo? Do you just replace the top clamp?  KTM part #?  I live in Logan.  I ride the High Line east of here, Moab/Whitewash a couple times a year, Cherry Creek a few times, Hobble Creek/Sheep Creek, etc.  Took a good ride Sunday on the back of Oxford Peak, west of Preston, ID.  Oh, and, I'm going to try to do 5MOH at least once a year till I die.  I'm up for whatever.  Give me a shout. (208) 604-0899

mtdirtbag,

Looks like a cool area.  I've yet to make it up there. Lot's of mt single track I take it?  If you ever get down this way, My #s right above.

Subby

I am not running my ODO so can't say.

I am down here in American Fork.  Ride everywhere you do except the farthest north I have been in Utah is Ben Lomond.  I ride American Fork Canyon quite a bit of course since it is only 15 min from my house.