Sign in to follow this  

KLX300 rear suspension setup. Could use some advice please.

Hey guys, I have a rear suspension question for you.

First, a little history,

I started out looking for a KLX300, I found a KDX220 and bought that instead. It had a lot of mods done. Notably, a KX125 front suspension swapped on. (And rear suspension to match. Both modded by Devol.)

I rode the 220 for around a year. Then came across a stock 300. After the first trip out with the 300, I immediately knew the 220 wasn't for me.

I've done all the free mods to the 300. It's regeared (13/52) and has a header. In the fall I'm planning a 351 kit. I've already swapped a Mikuni 36-38 carb.(Thanks Brewster) I just sent off the shift star to be modified. (Thanks coloradokid)

I recently ordered a slew of new parts. Mostly ergonomic stuff. Shift lever extension, tall seat, RC high bars. I'm 6'4", 235lbs.

Today I swapped the front KX125 suspension onto the 300.

Here's my question.

What do I do to the rear suspension?

You can't find the Stroker stuff anymore. The only thing I could do is swap a stiffer spring and possibly add adjustable rear linkage.

Links:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181004104104

Spring:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231235137488

Do I have any other options for the rear? Should I leave it stock? Add a stiffer spring? Swap adjustable dog bones in? Racetech says the factory rate is 5.8 in the rear. Is swapping to 6.4 even worth it?

This bike is 100% trail. That's it. Thoughts?

The day I got it:

3C84A2F3-11D8-4F6E-AE02-27D6FF32C3E4_zps

I just finished the KX125 front end swap. Well, not not quite finished, but I got it bolted up.

5F81D287-2F2B-4584-8BAD-BFD1658CF029_zps

6AC7C76C-BA0F-4DEA-B0E2-B511720DD685_zps

Get a shock spring to match your weight.  Either install a Racetech  GoldValve or get the shock reshimmed by a suspension shop.

Ride on

Brewster

Thanks Brewster. I didn't realize there was a gold valve for the rear.

Is the spring swap worth it since it's so close to the factory spring rate?

Thanks Brewster. I didn't realize there was a gold valve for the rear.

Is the spring swap worth it since it's so close to the factory spring rate?

Yes.  The stock spring is for a rider about 45 lbs lighter than you.

Ride on

Brewster

Alrighty. I'm low on funds currently and can't afford the spring and gold valve kit. I'll buy the spring this go around and start saving up for the gold valve kit.

As always, thanks for your help Brewster!

Oh, so don't mess with the linkage then? Why did Stroker have different links?

I have a question about the gold valve kit in the rear shock. If I order the kit, what weight oil do I also order? I believe factory weight is 5w. With the gold valve upgrade do I use the same weight oil?

I have a question about the gold valve kit in the rear shock. If I order the kit, what weight oil do I also order? I believe factory weight is 5w. With the gold valve upgrade do I use the same weight oil?

Racetech (Goldvalve) will recommend the weight of oil. 

Ride on

Brewster