Sign in to follow this  

Trying to buy a KX80 off a friend, how do I know if the water pump is bad?

My mechanic friend's brother traded a guy a load of fill stone for a KX80. He wanted to fix it up for his 7 year old. Neither know jack shit about bikes, they couldn't even start the thing. I got it started and my mechanic friend took it out and ate shit. I'm trying to convince them to sell it to me since my roommate and I &%$#@! around with pit bikes for fun.

The original owner told them it has a bad water pump. How can I tell? Bike looks to be about an 86 or so. I want to partially restore it.

My mechanic friend's brother traded a guy a load of fill stone for a KX80. He wanted to fix it up for his 7 year old. Neither know jack shit about bikes, they couldn't even start the thing. I got it started and my mechanic friend took it out and ate shit. I'm trying to convince them to sell it to me since my roommate and I &%$#@! around with pit bikes for fun.

The original owner told them it has a bad water pump. How can I tell? Bike looks to be about an 86 or so. I want to partially restore it.

IIRC the water pump is gear driven from inside the right case.  One way to tell would be pull a radiator hose and kick the bike over and see if it make water shoot out.  You could pull the water pump cover and inspect the impeller too.  Pull it, kick it over and see...  I think they are external like other bikes right? 

IDK about 86 but the later bikes you can just replace the impeller if its kinda worn or ate from people running straight water.

It's unlikely that the water pump isn't pumping water. What they probably mean is the inner seal is bad and letting coolant into the transmission oil. Easy fix.

Just drain the coolant and remove the clutch side engine cover, and replace both seals on the water pump shaft. Inspect the shaft while you're at it, and if there are any grooves worn in it replace that too. Re-install the engine cover with a new gasket, add oil and coolant, and you're done. It won't take over a half hour to do.

• Like 1

you can just replace the impeller if its kinda worn or ate from people running straight water.

Straight water won't damage the impellor, although it can leave deposits in the cooling system if you don't use distilled water. What eats the impellor and seals is when people use antifreeze that contains silicates.

I run straight distilled water and Water Wetter. But I also don't have to worry about freezing here in Florida.