Sign in to follow this  

Steering stem bearing problems

Hey guys I'm putting in new neck bearings, the bottom bearing is stuck on the shaft and I've had no luck getting it off. Also the big metal rings that go on the outside of the bearing are stuck in the frame. Should i just use a hammer and punch or is there anything special I need to do? Thanks for the help!

A hammer and long punch will knock out the bearing races (in the frame). Make sure you seat the new ones all the way and don't chew them up beating on them. Better to have the right tool and press them in.

For the lower bearing on the steering stem I use my dremel with a metal cutting wheel. I cut the cage off the bearing and remove the cage and needle bearings. Then I carefully start cutting the inner part of the bearing but don't try to cut all the way through it. Just put a good notch in it so to speak. Then place a chisel in the notch and a couple good taps with a hammer will split it and it will come right off.

Its a bit of a job but not to bad. It's really best to have the right tools. I have the tool to press in the bearing races to the frame and the tool to install the lower steering stem bearing.

Edited by hezzdown
  • Like 1

For the lower bearing on the steering stem I use my dremel with a metal cutting wheel. I cut the cage off the bearing and remove the cage and needle bearings. Then I carefully start cutting the inner part of the bearing but don't try to cut all the way through it. Just put a good notch in it so to speak. Then place a chisel in the notch and a couple good taps with a hammer will split it and it will come right off.

Then  save the race you cut off as a tool to drive on the new bearing. Piece of PVC and a dead blow. Works great.

• Like 1

Then save the race you cut off as a tool to drive on the new bearing. Piece of PVC and a dead blow. Works great.

alright I'll try it tonight thanks!!

A hammer and long punch will knock out the bearing races (in the frame). Make sure you seat the new ones all the way and don't chew them up beating on them. Better to have the right tool and press them in.

Its a bit of a job but not to bad. It's really best to have the right tools. I have the tool to press in the bearing races to the frame and the tool to install the lower steering stem bearing.

I got em both the races were easier than I thought and I used a piece of PVC pipe and tapped the bearing on that way. No more play and grinding in there. Thanks a lot!

What kind of bearings did you go with? I got the All Balls kit from Amazon for $19. I know their seals suck but couldn't find anything bad about their bearings. Hopefully they're OK, I figured it was worth the gamble considering OEM replacements cost three times as much. 

Hell, I dont even remember What I put in there. It was over a year ago and then I sold the bike t a buddy. I'm sure the All Balls are fine. Just dont over or under torque

the stearing head nut. 

• Like 1

Hell, I dont even remember What I put in there. It was over a year ago and then I sold the bike t a buddy. I'm sure the All Balls are fine. Just dont over or under torque

the stearing head nut. 

Thanks but that was directed towards the OP! 

• Like 1

What kind of bearings did you go with? I got the All Balls kit from Amazon for $19. I know their seals suck but couldn't find anything bad about their bearings. Hopefully they're OK, I figured it was worth the gamble considering OEM replacements cost three times as much.

pivot works kit, sorry I didn't get back to you quicker! But once I got the bearings off the old races came out quick, new ones went in easy and it's back up and running!

pivot works kit, sorry I didn't get back to you quicker! But once I got the bearings off the old races came out quick, new ones went in easy and it's back up and running!

Thanks for the reply! I just got my kit installed. Pretty sure Pivot Works and All Balls are the same. Haven't ridden them yet but they feel tight and smooth! The hardest part was cutting the bearing off the stem. I nicked it a little but it's all good! No press required!

Thanks for the reply! I just got my kit installed. Pretty sure Pivot Works and All Balls are the same. Haven't ridden them yet but they feel tight and smooth! The hardest part was cutting the bearing off the stem. I nicked it a little but it's all good! No press required!

good! Glad to hear! It really makes a difference with new bearings