Sign in to follow this  

2012 suspension on 13-14 chassis

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here. Great forum with lots if good info! Great looking bikes too!

I've got a '12 450 with RG3 suspension that I've gotten dialed and am very happy with. I'm debating on picking up a smoking cheap new 14 and swapping out the forks and shock instead of dropping the coin on revalving the SFF setup. I know the new forks are 1mm larger diameter, so I assume the triple clamps would need to be swapped also. Another thing I'm not sure of is the 13-14 chassis is more rigid and the shock linkage is different, so I'm not sure how all that would work performance-wise with the '12 boingers.

Has anyone here tried this setup?

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here. Great forum with lots if good info! Great looking bikes too!

I've got a '12 450 with RG3 suspension that I've gotten dialed and am very happy with. I'm debating on picking up a smoking cheap new 14 and swapping out the forks and shock instead of dropping the coin on revalving the SFF setup. I know the new forks are 1mm larger diameter, so I assume the triple clamps would need to be swapped also. Another thing I'm not sure of is the 13-14 chassis is more rigid and the shock linkage is different, so I'm not sure how all that would work performance-wise with the '12 boingers.

You will need the stem from the 14 I believe. Have your 14 stem pressed into you 12 clamps and you will be ready to go.

If you decide to sell the 14 forks and clamps let me know.

Edited by BDubb106

One of the test articles I read did this. I can't remember which mag/site but it's online.

They still felt the frame was too rigid, that is the 12 forks didn't fix harsh feel. One test, one opinion, so could be useless info.

What I've read leads me to believe that the SFF Spring fork is good if you get it reworked and dialed in.

What I don't know or believe is that some how the 13-14 frame is too rigid compared to 11-12...like Suzuki went backwards. Believable or not? I've always thought the RMZ was more rigid than any other bike. One reason it turns so well!

I know I am slightly off subject, but I think its still relative.  My buddy is a shop owner and managed a Suzuki race team in 2012 so I have access to a lot of parts for good prices.  I was considering buying his 2012 RG3 RMZ A Kit suspension.  He told me that with the new SFF technology it can be made better than a 2012 A kit.  I rode one of the 2011 bikes with A kit suspension.  I am not going to claim that my SFF forks are better, but I can promise they are every bit as good as a $10,000 setup.  My suspension is RG3 also and I have it so dialed.  I have had multiple friends ride my bike and went to buy 2013 RMZ450.  They let some local guys do their suspension work and now they are all debating on letting RG3 do theirs too haha.  Hopefully you will get what I am trying to say here and maybe it will help.

This thread is why Suzuki is awesome. They want to maintain the precision. The frame is rigid... It was in 12 and more so now...and so while everyone else fiddles with IrocZ28 mufflers and insane bodywork Zook keeps moving forward with suspension that will make that chassis stick.

Its amazing how many people refuse to understand it.

Anyway I think if you have dialed stuff from your 12 its gonna work on a 14. You will make adjustments and be fine.

I have a 12 with money invested in suspension as well....but in the end I would let it go and welcome the SFF.

I am going to stay on my 12 until 17 though lol. I have never stayed on a bike for that long and really want to do it....like my friend who resisted the urge to unload his 08crf 450. He is now on a 13 crf....smart guy huh?! Just decided to stop playing musical bike and just ride ride ride. But more importantly decided when it was actually going to be an UPGRADE. He sold the 08 for $2500, skipped the Honda growing pains and made the perfect move ....

I feel that the 12RMZ450 is the 08 CRF450. When you think about the evolution of the motorcycles and the solid performance of the two then factor in future models you will probably agree. Just think of the cycle of tech/manufacturing. Oh by the way the guys that do agree with me truly get it love to ride and are my brothers lmfao!!!!

Edited by mikerides33
  • Like 1

I'm with you guys; that's why I'm on the fence so bad. I've about decided that if I get a 14 to just revalve it. I think the 2014 with proper suspension would be as good or better than my 2012, but I'm IN LOVE with my 2012! I spent the weekend at the track and could not be happier with the bike. It'd been running a little rough since installing FMF megabomb/4.1 system (rich coupler) a while back. Not bad, just not up to my expectation...anyway, decided to quiet it down by installing the 94db insert/arrestor and to my surprise it livened the whole thing up. It's way cleaner running and peppy now. I guess the uncorked version was too much without a remap. Now the bike performs better than ever. It'd be hard to part with this thing!

Edited by McCrimon112