Sign in to follow this  

How long to run SS oil filter

How long would you guys use a SS oil filter before you replaced it? Dose it ever need to be replaced? I have no idea if they ever go bad or not. I clean it every oil change but never thought about it needing replaced.

Unless the filter is damaged somehow or is showing some kind of wear from all the cleanings, it should last the life of the bike.  Keep inspecting it after every cleaning and you should be golden, however, I would have an OEM paper filter on hand "just in case" you do spot something the day before a ride.

• Like 1

Thanks... I do have 3 or 4 OEM filters in the shop as spares. I was just curious if it was an item that should be replaced every so often or not. Really the only thing I was concerned about were the rubber seals.

I had one on two different bikes. When I switched brands to Suzuki had to get a different one or else woulda kept using the old one! They seem pretty indestructible. Rubber seals could harden eventually.

• Like 1

Does anyone actually believe they can tell when a SS filter is dirty and then clean? Really???  SNL skit material.

• Like 1

Does anyone actually believe they can tell when a SS filter is dirty and then clean? Really???  SNL skit material.

There was never any mention of a filter being dirty or clean??? You been drinking, or you auditioning for the lead role?

Edited by BDubb106

There was never any mention of a filter being dirty or clean??? You been drinking, or you auditioning for the lead role?

For the question/answer to be valid there must be an understanding of when and how to tell if the filter is clean enough to still be effective. At some point it has to be blocking flow and of no use. Then it has to be cleaned or replaced and I am skeptical that anyone can effectively clean one. Due to the pathway size required to trap contaminants it is doubtful to me that "clean" can be achieved completely. Really no way to tell.  For my bike, I would never be comfortable reinstalling a ss mesh filter, just couldn't do it. For ME, that means the filter life would be very short. Give me paper, lots of paper.

If you change your oil often and obviously we have to on these bikes. Your filter should just wash out. No tellings how long it could last.

For the question/answer to be valid there must be an understanding of when and how to tell if the filter is clean enough to still be effective. At some point it has to be blocking flow and of no use. Then it has to be cleaned or replaced and I am skeptical that anyone can effectively clean one. Due to the pathway size required to trap contaminants it is doubtful to me that "clean" can be achieved completely. Really no way to tell.  For my bike, I would never be comfortable reinstalling a ss mesh filter, just couldn't do it. For ME, that means the filter life would be very short. Give me paper, lots of paper.

That is not what I asked though...  :excuseme:

Either way... I am running a SS filter. I have seen no signs that it is not working properly.

:thumbsup:

That is not what I asked though...  :excuseme:

Either way... I am running a SS filter. I have seen no signs that it is not working properly.

Two bulls sitting on top of a hill. One of them was a very old bull and one of them was a very young bull. The young bull turned to the old bull and said "lets run down the hill and do one of those cows below in the valley?" The old bull said "Nope, let's walk down and do them all!