Buying brand new bike... Freeride 350? Fe250? 250 exc-f?

Hey guys glad I could find a place to ask this question!

I'm on the market for a brand new enduro bike lets say price isn't a problem,

I am 5'8" 22 years old with intermediate experience, I am looking for a bike I can take out in the trail and do bug hill climbs and jump over rocks and logs but also want to be able to keep up with 250cc motocross bikes on the open trails, I'm a slim build and don't have the longest legs ever. I really want a freeride 350 but I'm afraid the suspension is going to be too soft and I'm going to get bugged by the chocked engine being quite and sounding like a Prius, my other options are a husqvarna fe250 or a 250 exc-f

But they might be too big and too heavy for me, I don't want to struggle doing hill climbs and so on because i can't touch the ground or too much wheel spin so on. I only want a 4 stroke not a big fan of 2 strokes, the bike also needs to be ADR approved so I can register it..... Anybody who owns a freeride 350 and wants to put an input maybe some insight to the suspension would be good any other advice on the bikes would be good. Also I don't want to buy a bike and then have to do mods just so that I can ride lol cheers guysssss

While I am a KTM owner and fan, today I would give Sherco a look. They seem to be the upcoming new guy on the block, 300cc in both 2 and 4 stroke. If the Freeride interests you, check out the Sherco 290 X-Ride. If interested, go to Sherco's own website, and that of the Sherco owners for more info. Further, look for the video of a rider wringing out the 290 X-Ride, it will show you what it is capable of. I know I want one.

This is the video, found it on the Sherco owners site in a story titled "290 X-Ride". The Scorpa is the same bike as the Sherco, for this model at least, and depending on your state laws, can be made street legal. Edited by husabuzzard

The scorpa does look cool but I think it might be a little too close to a trials bike... I'd really prefer a 4T has any one ridden a freeride? How is the suspension? I'm 60kg but I don't want it bottoming out off a 4ft drop, again I dot really want to buy a bike and have to change shit immediately, I will have a bit more of a look at the 280 but I'd love some freeride input cheers

Edited by Cailebavery

I think, but don't know for sure, that the Freeride would be a lot like the Scorpa. Just for consideration, I am over six feet, 200 lbs. I ride a late model KTM 300 XC. I've been riding/racing all my life, am now a senior rider. I wish manufacturers would build an eight tenths bike, with a touch milder, very torque filled power, about ten inches suspension travel, a little softer suspension valving, a bit more comfy seat, just a bike that is very capable and enjoyable for recreational riding while not needing to be competition ready. Many need a bike like this, for the wife/girlfriend, when you are done racing, just for fun. This is what I see in the Scorpa/Sherco and the Freeride. Also, I frequently ride with a group of guys on trials bikes. I have to really ride to keep up with them on the trails, then they go off on the trials stuff, and I can't follow. Fuel capacity is their only downfall.

I am looking for a bike I can take out in the trail and do bug hill climbs and jump over rocks and logs but also want to be able to keep up with 250cc motocross bikes on the open trails, 

If you want a trail capable bike that also goes fast (to keep up with MX bike) then get either the Husky or KTM 250F you listed (they're nearly same bike now). The freeride or the trials bikes converted with long ride kits will severely fatigue you going fast for 75 miles. Suspension and frames not designed for that. 

Can anyone compare the power / power delivery of the freeride 350 to another bike? Say maybe a crf230f or a 250r maybe ? I think the way people describe it on other threads sounds like it can't even get the rear wheel to spin

Best thing to do is find a dealer who will give you a demo ride on the bikes you are looking at. The KTMs are pretty tall, so a Sherco or Beta might be good options, though the Beta is a little heavy if you are planning to ride technical trails (trust me I know). Another bike worth looking at is the KTM Freeride 250R. It is a 2T yea, but set up for torque, not so much ouright power. A friend of mine has one and it climbs likt a beast and will pull 120km/h top end. If you get the suspension worked on to take the bigger hits at speed, same goes for the 350 Freeride. On the other hand, you could get a 250 or 350 KTM and have them lowered and resprung for your weight.

Thanks thebob_za good info, I went to my local ktm dealer and asked to organise a test ride and there response was we can only organise a test ride if you buy the bike??? What sort of crap is that. I'd really like to ride a ktm 250excf and a freeride 350 and compare them but I don't want to wait until next years ktm dirt day -.-

Thanks thebob_za good info, I went to my local ktm dealer and asked to organise a test ride and there response was we can only organise a test ride if you buy the bike??? What sort of crap is that. I'd really like to ride a ktm 250excf and a freeride 350 and compare them but I don't want to wait until next years ktm dirt day -.-

Any chance your friends or contacts could help with demo rides?