Important--shipping a dirt bike!

My brother and I have been talking for over 4 years about taking a trip from TX to Oregon, riding the sand dunes where we used to as kids with our family.  But in 4 years, a lot has changed!  We both have wives and families, so driving for over a week, vacationing for a week just isn't in the cards. 

Where there's a will, there's a way!  Shipping our bikes, all prepped for the sand, would save us major time in the truck.  Then we could just fly up to Oregon and rent a cheapo car.  Thru whom could we ship two bikes??  Cost, anyone know?? 

I've seen bits on threads but no specific company info.  Thanks!

I have never shipped a bike but am on the sending and recieving end of large equipment. I you build a crate that can be moved with a fork lift you can take the crate dimensions and total weight loaded and call around. Fed ex freight , yellow freight , cap logistics, are the companys I use. Cost can be anywhere from several hundred to several thousand .7 years ago it cost me 300 dollars to get a factory crated bike shipped to me in CA from Indiana

• Like 1

If you have the $ its definitely doable, crate em and freight em...

Your best/hassle free way would be finding an outfit that could rent you a couple bikes...

Another alternative is to find an independent driver to haul all your gear up for you

Edited by Arctic Pride

Can't you send anything the will fit under a gray hound bus for 35$ if you have someone top pick it up on the other side. I got a car door that way and it worked great. I don't know the specifics but it might work really well and be really cheap.

I checked into this last year when I had a stolen-from-me bike recovered in west virginia.  There are a lot of motorcycle specific shipping companies out there.  I seem to remember the price was $500-$700 to ship to Iowa.  I ended up driving and making a nice weekend trip out of it, so I can't comment on who to go through.

• Like 1

There are tons of companies just use the search tool or google. Sometimes ebay can give some good insight but I know it is fairly inexpensive. I hope you find your answer and have a great time with your brother. I'm trying to scrounge the cash to bring my youngest brother to see my mother then I take the 1000 mile trek with my 3 kids and wife to see them. Been too long. Enjoy

My brother and I have been talking for over 4 years about taking a trip from TX to Oregon, riding the sand dunes where we used to as kids with our family. But in 4 years, a lot has changed! We both have wives and families, so driving for over a week, vacationing for a week just isn't in the cards.

Where there's a will, there's a way! Shipping our bikes, all prepped for the sand, would save us major time in the truck. Then we could just fly up to Oregon and rent a cheapo car. Thru whom could we ship two bikes?? Cost, anyone know??

I've seen bits on threads but no specific company info. Thanks!

U ship, ask for mark!

Shipped a street bike form chicago to tucson was about 500 bucks 3 years ago. http://eganchor.angelfire.com/ is the company, guy was good to work with didn't need to do anything to except roll the bike into his trailer. 

Sounds like you need to do a 2 way shipping deal and within a certain time line, that might get expensive because I think this guy groups a bunch of shipping requests so he can cut costs down. Call him see what you can work out.  Might be able to work out a storage deal with a local bike shop that can hold onto the bikes for a few days when the shipper can swing by and pick them up if you have a tight time frame that doesn't allow you to hang around. 

Edited by rharr

Greyhound Bus that ish'!!

BTW.... is there not a way to rent out dirt bikes when you get to your destination?  I wouldn't want to ship my bike and take a risk of something breaking or going missing.

Uhhh...What bike is that?  Your pretend bike?

I don't know how your relatives don't plot your death every holiday.  Having to listen to you blather in a room about everything you don't know shit about must be real torture.  They should video tape some of your get togethers and show it to the jury.  They'd get off Scott free!

• Like 1

Call this guy he works for uship but does stuff for me on the side super cheap. Rob 1 757 718 8553 he goes to the west coast weekly . Shipped my firebird and 2 bikes . It's not cheap but shipped my cr250 from texas to my house for 200 bucks. I would have spent that in gas pulling my trailer. 

• Like 1

My brother and I have been talking for over 4 years about taking a trip from TX to Oregon, riding the sand dunes where we used to as kids with our family.  But in 4 years, a lot has changed!  We both have wives and families, so driving for over a week, vacationing for a week just isn't in the cards. 

Where there's a will, there's a way!  Shipping our bikes, all prepped for the sand, would save us major time in the truck.  Then we could just fly up to Oregon and rent a cheapo car.  Thru whom could we ship two bikes??  Cost, anyone know?? 

I've seen bits on threads but no specific company info.  Thanks!

Here's one thing you can do since I was in the shipping industry for many years; invest in a good crate for your bike and pack it up where assembly would be required.  Try to keep the volume size low.  Forget about calling FEDUP or UPS, call your nearest interstate trucking company and arrange the shipment to be delivered up to their station at destination where you could pick It up yourself. No local deliveries involved, and you'll save a heap. You will also have to drop it off when you're ready to ship.  The cost here is local pickup and delivery where I know most of you can load it in the back of a pickup and take it to them.  When the shipments arrives their station, you go pick it up.  I'm assuming you'll be renting a pickup? :devil: