Sign in to follow this  

Motocross The Motocross Files... Gary Jones

Excellent TV series. Talks a lot about how his father Don Jones helped him, his brother, and the sport of motocross. The show basically credits his father Don for creating works MX bikes in the USA.

Yamaha YZ

Honda

Can-Am

• Like 1

I believe that one of our fellow TTs has done a couple interviews on that show.

I know I saw him in the david bailey episode. I think I saw him on the Barnett one also.

My favorite episode was the Mark Barnett one. Really cool guy and just a bulldog around the track.

I was wrenching for a buddy back in I think 74 during the Florida Winter Series who was leading the 125 Amateur Class on Saturday and at the final race in Jacksonville I got to sort of meet Gary Jones. We were parked near the Can Am Truck and I was riding a friends brand new 100cc Bultaco Mini Bike. I was putting around the pits and took a shortcut when low and behold Gary jumped from behind a truck grabbing the bars shaking them and laughing. I was a fan for life and had bragging rights with my fellow MX friends. My buddy wrapped up the championship when a kid name Dragonette if I remember correctly had a very bad moto. I'm so old.

Craigus

• Like 1

The Alessi family seemed like they were trying to emulate the Jones family in ways. What the TV show brought out were the ways the father Don changed the motorcycles with his backyard engineering. I use to read Dirt Bile magazine back then and remember Don was the center of manyheated arguments.

I didn't know Gary's mother made those red white and blue TEAM HONDA jerseys.

Or the works bikes were so bad, they raced modified stock Hondas.

Or that Gary rode the Maico because Honda failed to deliver an open bike for racing, per contract. Seems like Honda could have bore and stroked a 250. Maybe they did ang the Jones knew it wouldn't work.