Sign in to follow this  

Destroyed swing arm? 06 yz 125

I'm afraid I might have destroyed my swing arm trying to get the bearings out. Using a puller, I managed to round off the side of the arm that goes into the left hand side of the motor. It isn't that bad, but I'm worried it won't mount properly now and it'll have too much play. I will post pictures when I can.

Will I be able to ride with it, or am I looking at a $600 price tag for a new one? Thanks.

Looks like it will still mount okay. Hard to tell until you get all the bearing in and aligned with the frame.

Worst case you can have an aluminum welder build up a weld  around the rim and a machine shop machine the profile back.

Alright. I hadn't thought of that. Taking it into work to see if one of the guys there will help me. Thanks!

There is a thick spacer that goes on the outside of each side of the swingarm and slips in the seal. Its rests on a ridge inside the arm. The outside of the arm has nothing to do with alignment from side to side but rather creates a recessed area for the spacer to sit in. There is still plenty of material there to hold the spacer in place. Swingarm play from side to side should always be minimal and can be shimmed with a shim washer on the outside. I have seen brand new bikes with too much play. This arm is fine, bolt it up and ride. If you ever did need a new arm, the 06 arms can be found for $50 or so but the new 4-stroke arms are the way to go.

Thanks all. Any insight as to why I should be looking for a 4 stroke swing arm? Lighter? Longer?

Also, Thump is hooking me up with a deal I CAN'T refuse on a 2 stroke arm. Thanks.

Free Tip. Next time you're going to fit new bearings or work on the bike at all you should clean it properly first.

I know, I know. I cleaned the motor up real nice and purrdy expecting this to be just a top end job with the motor out of chassis. One thing led to another, and now I'm doing every suspension/linkage.swing arm bearing as well as many other things. only really dirty item is the swing arm.