90 Octane ethanol free - safe to use?

My 2013 250XC-F calls for "ROZ 95/RON 95/PON 91".  The 91 (or 93) pump gas around me all has 10% ethanol.  Would it be safe to use R90, which is only 90 octane (PON) but has no ethanol?  I am strictly trail riding and I am trying to avoid ethanol.

I always go with the ethanol free gas.  Dump a bottle of octane booster in it if you want but stay away from the ethanol.  My go-to-gas station just recently turned to the dark side and started using 10% ethanol, I've used this gas station for like 5 years and just assumed he was going to stay ethanol free but I noticed my bike not running quite as clean and crisp so I asked him last week and sure enough he's using ethanol now.  There's only 1 gas station in town now that sells ethanol free gas. 

I've had no problem running shitty-ass pump gas through my EFI 4 stroke. I run whatever's on-sale, 91 minimal octane and shit runs fine. No reason to spend money on fancy gas and stabilizers, unless you plan on the fuel sitting for an extended period of time. Fill up when you need it and don't use gas thats been sitting around for more then a month and you'll be fine.

Thats terrible advice, if you can't tell the difference between 10% ethanol and non-ethanol premium gas then you must not be riding your bike hard enough.  For someone who's so damn picky about their suspension, tires and oil, I find it hilarious that you could give 2shits about your gas.  Go to this website http://pure-gas.org/ and find a gas station near you, its not rocket science.

• Like 2

Thats terrible advice

Everyone does it and nobody has any issues. We do it because we have no choice. There are no other solutions anywhere near the tracks and driving 50 miles out of the way to buy fuel, just isn't in the cards for most riders. I can see if you don't ride that much, then making that trek and filing a few containers is smart. But I burn through at least 5 - 10 gallons a week, just the cost of "special" gas, would be prohibitive.

My point was simple... if it works for me, it will work for the OP.

Now, if this were a 2 stroke thread and we were discussing premix, that would be a different story. Since this is a 4 stroke thread, discussing EFI machines, its a different story. Glad you added your 2 cents, but we've got no problem down here running street gas, the shitty stuff as well, works great!

I suppose it works just dandy for beginners.  Maybe when you graduate from the peewee class and vet track you'll have a different opinion. 

I suppose it works just dandy for beginners.  Maybe when you graduate from the peewee class and vet track you'll have a different opinion.

This coming from someone who doesn't even own a 4 stroke!

I mean, I just put in the same gas AMA pro's put in their bikes when they practice.

If it works for them, it should work for me as well! As you said, I ride like &%$#@! in the peewee class.

Edited by tye1138

With ethanol you just need to run a little more fuel through your injector.

If you are dead serious in stayin to one type of fuel then tune it properly and dont worry. More ethanol the more timin you can run

Tryin not to tinker with my bike anymore...

So no mentionin of new gizmos plz

Thats terrible advice, if you can't tell the difference between 10% ethanol and non-ethanol premium gas then you must not be riding your bike hard enough.  For someone who's so damn picky about their suspension, tires and oil, I find it hilarious that you could give 2shits about your gas.  Go to this website http://pure-gas.org/ and find a gas station near you, its not rocket science.

+1 on the terrible advice. If you have ethanol free gas available near you, run it!

+1 on the terrible advice. If you have ethanol free gas available near you, run it!

Funny thing is, even the pump race fuel has ethanol in it here in So Cal. We have a Ethanol mandate in this state, pretty much everything has it no matter where you go.

So unless someone is willing to pay us riders hundreds of dollars to drive 50 miles out of our way to buy special gas, which by the way is more expensive then standard pump gas, which is already over $4- gallon... yea, we're happy just being able to ride our dirt bikes. If we can do it and suffer no consequences, so can anyone else. Its not like KTM builds a bike that can't use Ethanol.

But remember... this is a 4 stroke thread, talking about EFI 4 strokes. So unless you've done the A/B comparison, your data isn't really relevant, outside of agreeing with some who rides twice a month.

Edited by tye1138

Funny thing is, even the pump race fuel has ethanol in it here in So Cal. We have a Ethanol mandate in this state, pretty much everything has it no matter where you go.

So unless someone is willing to pay us riders hundreds of dollars to drive 50 miles out of our way to buy special gas, which by the way is more expensive then standard pump gas, which is already over $4- gallon... yea, we're happy just being able to ride our dirt bikes. If we can do it and suffer no consequences, so can anyone else. Its not like KTM builds a bike that can't use Ethanol.

But remember... this is a 4 stroke thread, talking about EFI 4 strokes. So unless you've done the A/B comparison, your data isn't really relevant, outside of agreeing with some who rides twice a month.

Nice try Tye.  While your still sandbagging it in the Beginner D class for the second year I'm wining +30 B races, so you can shove it.  And I can guarantee you that AMA pros are not running ethanol fuel, whether it be pump gas or race fuel.  Your clueless if you think race fuel like VP110 or C12 has ethanol in it.  Stop making sh*t up.

My 2013 250XC-F calls for "ROZ 95/RON 95/PON 91".  The 91 (or 93) pump gas around me all has 10% ethanol.  Would it be safe to use R90, which is only 90 octane (PON) but has no ethanol?  I am strictly trail riding and I am trying to avoid ethanol.

You can try it. I tried it in my KX250 and it pinged, 90 is not a high enough enough octane rating for it.

Nice try Tye.  While your still sandbagging it in the Beginner D class for the second year I'm wining +30 B races, so you can shove it.  And I can guarantee you that AMA pros are not running ethanol fuel, whether it be pump gas or race fuel.  Your clueless if you think race fuel like VP110 or C12 has ethanol in it.  Stop making sh*t up.

ROFL!!!

AMA Pro Motocross and Supercross racers at race events use either MR-Pro6 or MRX02. Both are oxygenated, lower octane fuels, designed for maximum power output.

Professional riders, very rarely see their race bike sunday through thursday. Most race bikes make it back to the team headquarters a few times per year for maintenance or developing only. Teams therefore put together what's known as a practice bike or "B" bike. Its usually identical suspension/geometry parts to the factory bike, but running more of a stock motor. This bike the riders keep with them at home and drive to the track with in the back of their pickup trucks.

The most humorous part is; the top guys in the US act like total teenagers at the track. They show up in non-flashy pickup tracks, they get gas at our local filling stations, eat lunch at the horrible burger joint on the corner and in the paddock, look like regular joe's. Some guys don't even run numbers on their bike OR jersey! Dean Wilson is famous for that, he's always riding a blank bike. You don't see this stuff because A) you don't live here B ) even if you did live here, you'd have to ride during the week like I do and C) all you know about motocross is whats fed to you via internet websites which show pictures of organized "ride-days" not riders going out and having fun on their own accord.

So anyway, next time you wish to question my accuracy of information related to professional riders practicing at MY GOD DAMN TRACK, you should think twice.

Edited by tye1138

ROFL!!!

AMA Pro Motocross and Supercross racers at race events use either MR-Pro6 or MRX02. Both are oxygenated, lower octane fuels, designed for maximum power output.

Professional riders, very rarely see their race bike sunday through thursday. Most race bikes make it back to the team headquarters a few times per year for maintenance or developing only. Teams therefore put together what's known as a practice bike or "B" bike. Its usually identical suspension/geometry parts to the factory bike, but running more of a stock motor. This bike the riders keep with them at home and drive to the track with in the back of their pickup trucks.

The most humorous part is; the top guys in the US act like total teenagers at the track. They show up in non-flashy pickup tracks, they get gas at our local filling stations, eat lunch at the horrible burger joint on the corner and in the paddock, look like regular joe's. Some guys don't even run numbers on their bike OR jersey! Dean Wilson is famous for that, he's always riding a blank bike. You don't see this stuff because A) you don't live here B ) even if you did live here, you'd have to ride during the week like I do and C) all you know about motocross is whats fed to you via internet websites which show pictures of organized "ride-days" not riders going out and having fun on their own accord.

So anyway, next time you wish to question my accuracy of information related to professional riders practicing at MY GOD DAMN TRACK, you should think twice.

You completely dodged the statement about AMA pro's running regular 10% ethanol gas station pump fuel. It doesn't happen, be it practice bike or race bike.  Nothing you say should be taken seriously, you said even race fuel has ethanol in it in CA, your an idiot.

But I burn through at least 5 - 10 gallons a week

My point was simple... if it works for me, it will work for the OP.

Your point presumes the OP uses fuel at same rate you do (5-10 gallons per week). That's pretty much what a car uses when driven regularly. That's a lot of riding and at that rate you're right, Ethanol cannot inflict damage to your intake. Most weekend riding dirt bikers do not use 5-10 gallons per week. Their bikes sit between ride intervals where the Ethanol can then inflict damage to intake system. 

Edited by shrubitup

You completely dodged the statement about AMA pro's running regular 10% ethanol gas station pump fuel. It doesn't happen, be it practice bike or race bike.  Nothing you say should be taken seriously, you said even race fuel has ethanol in it in CA, your an idiot.

Dude, they fill up at the same god damn gas stations I do!!!! No race fuel there, just standard 91 RON thats it!

We have many VP racing fuel pumps here in So Cal at regular gas stations and every single one of them has a little sign on the corner that states "10% Ethanol by volume". Now, whether the pump operator has put that sign there or not, I'm simply trusting what it says.

Your point presumes the OP uses fuel at same rate you do (5-10 gallons per week). That's pretty much what a car uses when driven regularly. That's a lot of riding and at that rate you're right, Ethanol cannot inflict damage to your intake. Most weekend riding dirt bikers do not use 5-10 gallons per week. Their bikes sit between ride intervals where the Ethanol can then inflict damage to intake system.

Re-read my initial post...

I've had no problem running shitty-ass pump gas through my EFI 4 stroke. I run whatever's on-sale, 91 minimal octane and shit runs fine. No reason to spend money on fancy gas and stabilizers, unless you plan on the fuel sitting for an extended period of time. Fill up when you need it and don't use gas thats been sitting around for more then a month and you'll be fine.

We have many VP racing fuel pumps here in So Cal at regular gas stations and every single one of them has a little sign on the corner that states "10% Ethanol by volume". 

No they don't. They say "Contains UP TO 10% Ethanol by volume". Those stickers are put on the pumps at the wholesale level, and the manufacturer has no idea what fuel a gas station is going to run through it.

The ethanol is not added at the station, it's added by the blender. VP does not add ethanol to their fuels. They'd don't have to, because their fuels are not legal for highway use. Only VP100 contains ethanol, because it's CARB compliant and legal for street use.

No they don't. They say "Contains UP TO 10% Ethanol by volume". Those stickers are put on the pumps at the wholesale level, and the manufacturer has no idea what fuel a gas station is going to run through it.

I thought that as well, but the sticker said "VP fuels" on it.

The ethanol is not added at the station, it's added by the blender. VP does not add ethanol to their fuels. They'd don't have to, because their fuels are not legal for highway use. Only VP100 contains ethanol, because it's CARB compliant and legal for street use.

Anything sold at a gas station, at a pump, has to be legal for highway use in California. So yes, the VP fuels sold at pumps in and around California, has Ethanol in it, made by the blender, who in this case is VP.

Here is the map with the stations who sell it: http://goo.gl/maps/UiBt7

Ohh and its only about 2 bux per gallon more then 91... so a pretty good deal, far cheaper then buying in can's where 5 gallons usually is $60 - $80 bux. If you actually ride motorcycles and not let them sit in the garage, thats WAY too much money.

Edited by tye1138