Sign in to follow this  

Valve Shim Fitment

Looking to buy a shim kit for a valve adjustment on my rmz450 and kx250f. When I go on ebay and look at hot cam kits, the sellers will list a kit only for a certain bike and i was wondering are all valve shims the same size? or do i need to purchase two kits? Because if a mechanic was doing valve adjustments we would have to have a lot of different shim kits 

There's 2 different diameter shims you will see for Japanese bikes.  7.48 and 9.48mm.  KTM uses 8.90mm.  Your 250 will take the 7.48, the 450 9.48.  So the mechanic will only need 2 or 3 shim kits.  

Edited by flyandride
  • Like 1

Measure clearance. Measure shim. Buy shim. Sometimes u can even swap them, which is kind of like winning an $8 lottery.

• Like 3

Measure clearance. Measure shim. Buy shim. Sometimes u can even swap them, which is kind of like winning an $8 lottery.

Never had that happen to me, but I remember in the '80's in Alaska the shops would swap them for free, even shim over bucket.

Mike

Never had that happen to me, but I remember in the '80's in Alaska the shops would swap them for free, even shim over bucket.

Mike

I meant...swap the different sizes within the machine. Like if u had a tight valve and a loose valve, swap shims sorta thing.

I meant...swap the different sizes within the machine. Like if u had a tight valve and a loose valve, swap shims sorta thing.

Knew you meant that, it never happened to me. Usually all went the same direction, could maybe reuse a couple, and buy a couple. Welcome to TT. Like your posts.

Mike

• Like 2

I wonder why Ktm would use the " odd Ball " size ?

Because they're, uh, different. (didn't want to say oddball).

Mike

Im really impressed with ktm. It had to take a lot of effort to turn the big 4 into the big 5. Im not a ktm'er but kudos to them.

• Like 1

So much easier to have a shim kit.  I know kits seem expensive, but so is time, and having to order shims or depend on a dealer to have one the right size is just a huge PITA.  So, I sucked it up and bought a Hot Cams kit and have been happier since . . .especially when I screwed up my math that one time.   :facepalm: No big deal.  Just back to the kit.  Worth every penny.

• Like 3

So much easier to have a shim kit.  I know kits seem expensive, but so is time, and having to order shims or depend on a dealer to have one the right size is just a huge PITA.  So, I sucked it up and bought a Hot Cams kit and have been happier since . . .especially when I screwed up my math that one time.   :facepalm: No big deal.  Just back to the kit.  Worth every penny.

Yes, multiple bikes, same kit good. Multiple bikes, multiple kits, bad for some of us. I can figure the shim and wait 2 days. I think there is like 5 shim diameters?

Mike

• Like 1

KTM also uses 10.0mm shims.  The V-Rod also uses the same shims as KTM.  Hot Cams only come in .050 increments, you can get .025 incriments at your local HD dealer, and they're only like 3-4 bucks. 

KTM also uses 10.0mm shims.  The V-Rod also uses the same shims as KTM.  Hot Cams only come in .050 increments, you can get .025 incriments at your local HD dealer, and they're only like 3-4 bucks.

Yeah , I wish Hot cams shims were available in 0.25 increments

shimming only last so long. i learned that when my valves ended up completely shutting and i couldn't shim anymore. its less hassle to fork out the money now and do a re build.

i bought single shims from rocky mountain, for under 2 bucks a piece 

Yes, multiple bikes, same kit good. Multiple bikes, multiple kits, bad for some of us. I can figure the shim and wait 2 days. I think there is like 5 shim diameters?

Mike

You can wait 2 days?  Waiting 2 days would be maddening for me, and paying for shipping for something that small would cause me to over order and get stuff I didn't even need, just to get free shipping.  Besides, if the size didn't work . . . well, that would put me in a bad mood.  To your point we are all KX for the 4 strokes, and probably always will be.  It helps to standardize, especially from a tool perspective.  If I had 5 bikes with 5 different shim sizes I could probably spring for 5 different shim kits . . . but I probably couldn't find room for them in my garage  :lol:

The best solution to valve shim issues is to buy a two stroke. But seriously take the head to your local dealer and they should have a shim kit that you could buy out of. I did that with my old CRF 450. I took the head, cam and a feeler gauge in with me and it took us like 10 different tries before I found the right one. The service guy just let me have the shims for free.

shimming only last so long. i learned that when my valves ended up completely shutting and i couldn't shim anymore. its less hassle to fork out the money now and do a re build.

i bought single shims from rocky mountain, for under 2 bucks a piece 

If you aren't racing for money, SS valves are your friend in that respect.  If you want Ti, alloy seats might help.  Air filter maintenance is critical, too.  New valves are expensive.  Definitely have the seats cut before you pop them in, and mind that filter.  How long did you own the bike before the clearances zeroed out?

You can wait 2 days?  Waiting 2 days would be maddening for me, and paying for shipping for something that small would cause me to over order and get stuff I didn't even need, just to get free shipping.  Besides, if the size didn't work . . . well, that would put me in a bad mood.  To your point we are all KX for the 4 strokes, and probably always will be.  It helps to standardize, especially from a tool perspective.  If I had 5 bikes with 5 different shim sizes I could probably spring for 5 different shim kits . . . but I probably couldn't find room for them in my garage  :lol:

We've discussed this before, you have more money than me. So what? I have another bike to ride. You are starting to annoy me.

Mike

We've discussed this before, you have more money than me. So what? I have another bike to ride. You are starting to annoy me.

Mike

Mike, we have not discussed this before.  I have no idea if I have more money than you or anyone else, and it wouldn't matter anyway.  I think it is awesome that you have another bike to ride.  I hope you have a relaxing weekend.

• Like 3