Stumped on which topend kit to get as well as other additions

Getting ready to Replace piston , rebuild forks and replace some other parts on my wifes 99 cr250 .

Shes a beginner rider and so I'm looking for parts that will be forgiving .

My list of parts are:

Swing arm chain slider

Sprockets and chain

Top end rebuild kit

Carb rebuild kit

Forks rebuild kit

Thinking about adding a flywheel weight

Ignition and clutch covers

Thottle cable

Brakes including Discs lines and pads

Reeds

intake boot

I thinks that's it .

I'm at a loss as to which top end kit to get  . We ride in hot dry desert type of terrain so heat dissipation would be a plus .

The forks rebuild kits I've found are moose ,pivot works and all balls .wondering if anyone could chime in on what works well .

The fly wheel weight would help her in her learning curve I would think but I heard I would have to replace the cover and that's why I have covers in my list . Wondering if anyone can comment on the fly wheel weight idea aswell .

also wondering where I could get a intake boot to fit correctly . Her bike has a Boysen reed cage and it looks like the previous owner used a standard rubber tube to connect the carb to the reed cage and has since decayed pretty badly .

Any help and advice will be much appreciated . Hoping to order parts this weekend and knock this out I the next two weeks .

Also one more question . the powervalve moves freely but wont move in the rpms . It stays in which ever position I leave it in .

any help with that aswell ?

Getting ready to Replace piston , rebuild forks and replace some other parts on my wifes 99 cr250 .

Shes a beginner rider and so I'm looking for parts that will be forgiving .

My list of parts are:

Swing arm chain slider  (Acerbis has worked well for me)

Sprockets and chain       (DID VT2 Chain, this chain is awesome!)

Top end rebuild kit           (OEM OEM OEM OEM!)

Carb rebuild kit                 (OEM Again)

Forks rebuild kit                (Running Pivot works right now and it has been fine)

Thinking about adding a flywheel weight

Ignition and clutch covers

Thottle cable                        (oem)

Brakes including Discs lines and pads (galfers have worked well for me)

Reeds                           (Boyesen carbons gave it some more snap, Im going to go to a full boyesen setup soon)

intake boot            

I thinks that's it .

I'm at a loss as to which top end kit to get  . We ride in hot dry desert type of terrain so heat dissipation would be a plus .

The forks rebuild kits I've found are moose ,pivot works and all balls .wondering if anyone could chime in on what works well .

The fly wheel weight would help her in her learning curve I would think but I heard I would have to replace the cover and that's why I have covers in my list . Wondering if anyone can comment on the fly wheel weight idea aswell .

also wondering where I could get a intake boot to fit correctly . Her bike has a Boysen reed cage and it looks like the previous owner used a standard rubber tube to connect the carb to the reed cage and has since decayed pretty badly .

Any help and advice will be much appreciated . Hoping to order parts this weekend and knock this out I the next two weeks .

Also one more question . the powervalve moves freely but wont move in the rpms . It stays in which ever position I leave it in .

any help with that aswell ?

So you have pulled the cover and looked at the PV movement when revved? Could have something going on where the linkage goes thru the jug or at the bottom where the crows foot attaches. I would check all that when pulling the jug off.

• Like 2

Yup . sure enough when I pulled the Jug and the Crows foot was misplaced and smashed up  . I flattened it but to many stress cracks .So gotta replace that .

I went with the PRO-X top end kit . Going with a Protaper mx520  chain and sprockets .

Went with the pivot works forks rebuild kit

got the MSR Carb rebuild kit .

Got the Stealth 10oz. fly wheel weight .

postponed the brakes

Got the intake boot

Went with the Boyeson Carbon reeds which replaces the same that's there now  .

Got a motion pro throttle cable along with motion pro throttle tube and some grips

ended up going with the UFO polyurethane chain slider

Holding off on the covers for the moment .

got a 250 piece mechanics bolt kit for the Honda 2 stroke

Thanks izcain for the help . much appreciated . ?

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one thinking a low compression cr250 may be too much for a beginner even in the dessert and now your going to freshen it up and it will make a fast bike even faster.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have been riding for 7 years and the CR250 is still a lot of bike for me to handle. I am on edge constantly. I can't even imaging trying to ride a CR250 on my first season riding. I would have really hurt myself. Edited by carters2

Good lord! Starting out on a 250 2 stroke will be rather awkward, that is anything but a beginner bike. At least you won't be out in the woods and have to worry about your wife wrapping herself around a tree. A 250 is a lot of bike for an experienced rider, let alone a beginner. Probably would've been better off starting her on something a little bit friendlier and easier to ride like a 250 4 stroke.