Sign in to follow this  

Muffler to headpipe joint seal

Afternoon guys,

Well after my son took the bike apart last week to get ready to install the new front and rear suspension that we just got, he has misplaced the asbestos/fiber donut that goes inside the muffler pipe that the head pipe slides into.  Then the metal clamp squeezes all three together.  Well it is the eleventh hour and we have a Lorrettas qualifier this weekend and of course nobody has that in stock around here.  Is there ANYTHING anybody can think of that will work to get us through the weekend?

Thanks

Sid

Sid,

I'm not sure how big the gap is you are trying to fill but if it's not too big you may be able to get away with some hi temp red silicone to get you by. Just be sure to give it enough time to cure..

have used wraps of aluminum tape to build up the gap then seal with silicone,  prefer the copper but will use anything at hands reach

I've Seen people cut an aluminum can into strips and layer it in there

Morning all,

Well got to the track early saturday morning and the nightmare began.  He signed up for  B stock class for Saturday and B mod and Collegeboy on Sunday.  He ran his first practice and came back and wanted the tubes lowered in the clamps a couple mm.  I loosened all eight bolts, lowered the tubes to where he wanted them(stock clamps upper and lower) then proceeded to torque them back to 15 ft/lbs each upper and lower per the service manual.  Rt side torqued up just fine.  Lower left just fine.  Upper left felt just weird, then BAM.  The damn upper clamp just snapped.  The damn clamp snapped a straight line and rt in half.  Long story short after the tears, we went and fetched up a 2 Stroke 250 from my brother in law and raced that.

We took the upper clamp off the Kawi to see what the hell was up.  If looked close inside the bore of the clamp where the tube gets squeezed you could see a black line where the clamp must have been broke for awhile and we just finished it off.  I can only be thankful this happened on the stand instead of on the track or 400 miles away in 3 weeks at the regional.  things happen for a reason I guess.

My question though here is this then, I certainly do NOT want another stock clamp to replace that cast crap.  The OEM had rubber mounted bar clamps.  It seems the Applieds and the TAGS are soild mount.  I can get rubber mounted with Applied I see but I was wanting some input or experience on upper clamps from you all perhaps for his 07 450F.  Have a brand new suspension and do not even know how it feels yet.

Thanks all and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Sid

Many clamp caps are marked with an arrow or dot, which is installed up. That bolt is tightened 1st and seats the cap against the mount. The lower or rear bolt is then snugged or torqued to clamp the bar (leaving a little gap between the cap and mount). 

Thanks for the reply Highmarker, but the bar cap was not the problem.  It was the triple clamp itself that cracked in half when torquing the fork pinch bolts.

I am in need of a uppler triple clamp now.  Checked with Applied Racing.  They can make one for my 07, they do not stock that old they told me.  However, it will not be the RS new series.  their old style, which is still very good in my opinion.  But if they start machining it tomorrow, they anodize over the weekend which means I iwill not get my clamp until the end of next week.

Looking at ProTaper top clamps.  80 bucks more than Applied.  RG3 is insanely expensive and so is ProCircuit.  Can you think of another top clamp manufacturer that is machined from billet that is decent?  I'd like to place the order tomorrow and get it before the weekend.  I'd like to stay in the 220.00 range with bar clamp, rubber mounts and hardware.

Let me know what you think.

Sid