Sign in to follow this  

Who has experience lowering a bike?

My old suspension guy, Dewayne Jones, told me that he could make a lowered bike's suspension work just as well as the regular stock height.  But I'm 6'1", so never ridden a lowered bike..

I don't mean to speak for her, but mL26 recently rode a lowered Yamaha 250 and she LOVED IT compared with her CRF 230.  I told her once not to ride a bike she's not prepared to buy--well she fell for that full size frame bike, lowered for her height.  It had all the benefits of a full size bike, but squeezed down to the right height for the shorter-than-average rider (average being 5'10").

Who has good experiences with suspension lowering?  Bad experiences??  What was good or bad?

I've ridden bikes lowered, yes they work fine if shock is done as opposed to the lowering linkage.

I've seen posts and video on linkages breaking.

Jmho

• Like 1

My wife's 06 YZ 125 was lowered internally, the bike worked awesome!

How did you lower it?  Steps involved?

Is the troll trying to be serious now?

• Like 4

I'm sure most have heard of Devol suspension...they are based out of Enumclaw Wa. near where i live...I just picked up a YZ 250 F. Since i trail ride mostly i want to get it lowered. Devol wants a good 500 bucks to  lower front and back....i am going to find out more specifics here this next week on their procedure and parts....i will update as i really want this done professionally.......

• Like 1

All you have to do is take all of the air out of the tires.

• Like 3

LORP I had mine lowered by Derek Harris (HP Bikes) in Marion.

He did an outstanding job, and it works perfectly for me - I ride mostly woods.

He lowered the rear and front, revalved, resprung, re-oiled, new seals (SKF).  I also had a broken piston assy that he replaced.

I was shocked by his price, and fully expected to pay something close to what Race Tech wanted - about $1300.00.  He was less than half that.

I'm 5'11", 205 lbs and have a 29" or so inseam.  Before, sitting on the bike fairly close to the tank with the rear sag set correctly, I could not touch the ground even by pointing a toe without sliding ass off one side of the seat.

I tried the Yamalink and it sucked ass.  About the best way I can describe it was driving a Ferrari then driving a fully loaded ocean tanker ship.

I have the Yamalink for sale/trade cheap - not actively pursuing either.

Oh yeah - I have a 2013 YZ250

Edited by SpunBearing
  • Like 1

My wife's last two bikes have been lowered. We call it the SLS (short leg special). Both times done internally by a tuner (two different ones). Only way to go. We also lower the seat, push fork tubes up in the clamps. She loves it. Rides (with the guys) full size frame and kills it. Kinda hijack but IMHO the absolute best mod for a bike, short or tall, is having your suspension set up for YOU.....

• Like 2

My old suspension guy, Dewayne Jones, told me that he could make a lowered bike's suspension work just as well as the regular stock height. But I'm 6'1", so never ridden a lowered bike..

I don't mean to speak for her, but mL26 recently rode a lowered Yamaha 250 and she LOVED IT compared with her CRF 230. I told her once not to ride a bike she's not prepared to buy--well she fell for that full size frame bike, lowered for her height. It had all the benefits of a full size bike, but squeezed down to the right height for the shorter-than-average rider (average being 5'10").

Who has good experiences with suspension lowering? Bad experiences?? What was good or bad?

My wife has my 2006 YZ250f lowered with a lowering linkage setup. The shock was much softer, but luckily that is what she needed anyway. I have ridden it since a few times and it is fine. The manufacture said to us two sizes bigger than normal for spring rate. I would imagine having a lighter/faster/better bike would be beneficial verse a heavy slow Cadillac style bike (i.e. ttr).

My wife has my 2006 YZ250f lowered with a lowering linkage setup. The shock was much softer, but luckily that is what she needed anyway. I have ridden it since a few times and it is fine. The manufacture said to us two sizes bigger than normal for spring rate. I would imagine having a lighter/faster/better bike would be beneficial verse a heavy slow Cadillac style bike (i.e. ttr).

Pic of your wife.  I mean, the bike.  Wife on the bike....... I want to see how low it is.

Edited by Honda_Power

I use a Devol transformer link. Right now it's back to the stock riding height with my forks dropped 5mm in the trees. I was able to lower the entire bike 3/4 inch at the seat which in my case at a whopping 5-8 and a 29 inch inseam on a new 450 I found to be a huge help. Now I did lose ground clearance but for the couple months it took me to get used to the power and weight it was worth it. Now I've beaten down the suspension enough and find I like the extra ground height for big stuff. As far as the handling goes it didn't upset the ride of the bike at all.

Thank you.

I typed/edited something 3 times, then decided I like my membership here more so deleted it.

• Like 3