Accidentally ordered street bike chain?

A chain is a chain, unless you wanted an o-ring chain (which I swear by). As long as it is the correct size and has sufficient tensile strength for the intended application (8500 psi is a pretty good  chain), it will work fine. The difference is in the master links. A dirt chain has a clip-type master link for easy removal. Street bikes generally use riveted master links, meaning you install the master link, peen the ends of the rivets, and don't take it off again until its time to replace it.

If you want to use that chain, just order a clip-style 520 master link.

• Like 1

F. I installed this bitch tonight and I did not have a press fit tool. Actually what I did was use a C-clamp and a small flanged nut. Placed the nut over the rivets and pressed plate in each side a little bit each time. It did the trick.

That's a good trick. I usually do the same thing using a 6mm hex nut and vice grips...

Riveted master links make for fun tire changes...?

If you're throwing clips you ain't doin' something right. I don't believe I've ever lost a master link clip in 40+ years. Of course this is on dirt bikes, I use riveted links on street bikes.

Hint: the opening faces AWAY from the direction of travel... ?

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 2

Riveted master links make for fun tire changes...?

If you're throwing clips you ain't doin' something right. I don't believe I've ever lost a master link clip in 40+ years. Of course this is on dirt bikes, I use riveted links on street bikes.

Hint: the opening faces AWAY from the direction of travel... ?

Well aware, I've been doing this for over 40 years also. Never had problems with tire changes, even on trips at the campsite. Actually, I don't understand the problem?

Mike

• Like 2

F. I installed this bitch tonight and I did not have a press fit tool. Actually what I did was use a C-clamp and a small flanged nut. Placed the nut over the rivets and pressed plate in each side a little bit each time. It did the trick.

Hold the phone, if you have a chain that is a rivet type and not c-clip you don't want to just press the plate onto the rivets like you mentioned and stop there.  After you press it on, you need to flare the rivets to eliminate the chance that the plate will come off the rivets.

Here it is at 6:12 in the video below:

http://youtu.be/sM022oIyIC8?t=6m12s

• Like 4

Just bustin' your chops...?

Didn't think that sounded like you. Just getting tired of all those that have been everywhere and done everything and their way is the only way. I'm guilty too. Whatever works!

Mike

• Like 1

Didn't think that sounded like you. Just getting tired of all those that have been everywhere and done everything and their way is the only way. I'm guilty too. Whatever works!

Mike

My way IS the only way....for ME. :D

Doesn't mean there aren't a thousand other ways too...?

• Like 1

Hold the phone, if you have a chain that is a rivet type and not c-clip you don't want to just press the plate onto the rivets like you mentioned and stop there.  After you press it on, you need to flare the rivets to eliminate the chance that the plate will come off the rivets.

Here it is at 6:12 in the video below:

http://youtu.be/sM022oIyIC8?t=6m12s

There is a C clip. Like the picture attached, but the plate underneath the C clip has to be forced in extremely hard first.

123921152_o.jpg

There are some 520 street bike chains that are meant to replace 530 chains on 1000cc bikes.  They are very much wider than your typical dirt 520.  This can cause some fitment issues around your front sprocket and through the lower chain guide.  If it fits, run it.  If it does not... oops, that's probably not the most expensive mistake you will make.