Sign in to follow this  

2000 kx125 has really bad handling?

Hi was just wondering on people's opinions on this, I recently got back into dirt bikes after my brother got a 2000 Ktm sx125 I thought I'll get my self a bike. I used to have an 1989 kx125 when I was younger and it was a great bike and always thought it had good handling, So I went and brought a 99/00 kx125 and the first time I rode I thought it felt twitchy at the front. Kept on riding it ending up falling off prob cos I was going to fast after not riding for 5 or so years. Then I took it out again with my brother on his Ktm and after riding the two we both agreed that my kx had terrible handling and felt like a death trap!

Is there any reason why it would be handling so bad? There is some play in the back suspension but it's the front that feels like it's always gonna give way.

Thought maybe the frame is twisted is there any way to find out if it is?

Thanks

Firstly, service the bike...front to back, top to bottom. Then get the suspension done...to your particular needs. Are the tires old? That's where I'd start...that bike should handle fine.

The bike won't handle to your specs until you get the suspension set up for your weight and riding style. Most bikes come way to stiff, almost set up for a 200 pound A rider. Start off by having the suspension valved and sprung for you, then set your sag and finally adjust the clickers to get the suspension feeling how you like it. I had the same issue with one of my bikes and then I had the suspension set up for me and it was a night and day difference. Once its set up for you the suspension will set up for you in the corners so you will almost "lock" into the corners and all in all it will just handle way better.

Some play in the back? Like bad bearings? Sloppy wheel, linkage, shock, or swing arm bearings can cause all sorts of suspension / handling issues. Fix them.

Did you set the proper rear shock sag with rider? If so, what amount?

Do you know the spring rates in the bike? Compared to your weight? If not, can you tell rider vs static sag?

Shock full of oil and proper nitrogen charge?

Forks have the proper oil level? What is it at?

Fork bushings good (no play in legs)?

Steering stem bearings good? Not notchy or full of play?

Tire pressure? Tire condion? Tire type vs terrain?

There's a million basics to check before I'd go looking for a tweaked frame.

Edited by adam728