Sign in to follow this  

YZ 85 Trail riding?

I ride a CRF150f and it's great on our trails, which are pretty tight. We have some other land running along a field thats open, but it's mostly trails. I want to upgrade to a more fun, lighter bike. I was thinking about the YZ 85. Is this bike good good for trail riding??

I ride a CRF150f and it's great on our trails, which are pretty tight. We have some other land running along a field thats open, but it's mostly trails. I want to upgrade to a more fun, lighter bike. I was thinking about the YZ 85. Is this bike good good for trail riding??

Are you a girl or child?

Many people say the 85-125 2 smokes are bad for trails but I disagree. I own a 125 and being around 120 lbs, I assume you are close to that since you ride 150, it carries me well. I feel the advantage to a small bore two stroke for trails are its lightness and handling. When kept in the power band, I think the 85 will be a capable and fun trail ripper.

A pretty successful racer at my work rides a CR85 in the woods.  He's approaching retirement age and is bigger then you.  I wouldn't ever make fun of him for riding an 85, cause he'll smoke me.

• Like 1

Many people say the 85-125 2 smokes are bad for trails but I disagree. I own a 125 and being around 120 lbs, I assume you are close to that since you ride 150, it carries me well. I feel the advantage to a small bore two stroke for trails are its lightness and handling. When kept in the power band, I think the 85 will be a capable and fun trail ripper.

This is the key for any small 2t woods bike. Or have it jetted lean and never ride WOT.

I am glad to be out of the mini's but when we were we ran a CRF150rb with excellent results when set-up correctly. Proper jetting and sprung for your weight is the minimum needed. Larger tank if you ride more than 30 miles at a time. It's lighter by 40lbs, great suspension and extra power while being smooth. This bike rewards you anyway you ride it which is nice not to have to be on the pipe.

Edited by weantright

20140308_160539.jpg

If you really want to upgrade to a fun and lighter bike, get a Trials bike. My 300 Beta Evo 2T weighs in at a petite 147lbs.

It will creep along a rabbits trail without getting off line, or propel me like an Atlas V rocket up any angle grade. Very reluctant to stall and will stand straight up with just a twist of the wrist in any gear, sixth included. Add on the long range tank seat combo and it holds a full 2gl. of fuel.

I wish I had this bike all of my life.

And with the rake better not ever come up short on a jump, rocks or a log. Trials bikes are fun until the speed increases

For woods the kx seems a bit better with the power valve. My son had two and likes then allot compared to the yz

My son had that on his woods kx also. Very good add on.

If your riding area has a lot of rocks or your likely to grow, look for a mini with big wheels. A KX 100 or KTM 105 with fly wheel weight will give you much more bottom end to work with than an 85.