Sign in to follow this  

New tubes every tire change? SM wheels.

Just called me local Cycle Gear,    been wanting to try out the stock SM tires instead of the 244's,   they are telling me cause its a 17'' wheel its $30 bucks per wheel,  and because its  D.O.T tire I HAVE TO purchase 2 new tubes???  WTF,  this is the first ive heard of this,   these tubes are like brand new,  why would i need to buy 2 new tubes?

They are saying its a requirement and they wont reinstall the tubes that are in there now,  even tho they are new'ish,  for safety reason,  since its a D.O.T tire. 

Ive never heard of this before,  sounds like complete BS.  not to mention $60 bucks seems expensive to me,  called me old place where it used to be $10 a wheel if you take it off the bike for the 18/21 set up,  he says for 17' SM set up its $15 dollars each if i take it off the bike,  and he says that i dont have to put in a new tube,  unless the old one looks worn.

any of you ever heard of this ''install new tube with every tire change since its a DOT tire'' thing?

Feel like just ''DOING WORK'' me self and saving the $,  dont want to scratch up these nice rims tho. 

i had my tires changed once by  a shop and i told them i wanted tot keep the old tube in there. no issues..  been running the same tubes for 10k miles  Heavy duty tubes are best

• Like 1

Probably both a mix of safety reasons and money reasons. You buy your tires already? What are you looking at?

They are brand new (130 miles on em)   Dunlop Sportmax D208 that came on the bike. (on the 2014 SM rims i traded me 18/21 for)

i had my tires changed once by  a shop and i told them i wanted tot keep the old tube in there. no issues..  been running the same tubes for 10k miles  Heavy duty tubes are best

No way id change a tube unless it had a hole or a ripped valve or something,   even tho i want to keep them they are saying since its a DOT tire I HAVE TO PURCHASE 2 new tubes at around $20 dollar each,  F that!   :thumbsdn:  :lame:

Bridgestone makes amazing heavy duty tubes (red valve stem) if you do end up buying new ones but I would just find another shop

Thanks,  but yeah,  not buying new tubes for sure,  these tubes probably have like less then 1000 miles on em total,     they are the OEMS that come in the wheels,  im assuming Dunlops also. 

Is changine 17'' SM tires so much harder then the 18/21 set up?

Sounds like someone is trying to milk you for more money.

Go somewhere else.

• Like 1

My stock 17 rims are tubeless. 

DRZ400SM?

Looking at the tire it says  TUBELESS and ON TUBE TYPE RIM FIT TUBE,  the orignal owner of the rims took off the stock D208'S right after he bought the bike and had shinko 244 installed,  so it has tubes front/back. 

Sounds like someone is trying to milk you for more money.

Go somewhere else.

Zactly!!  thats what im thinking,  and its that kind of shit that pisses me off.  just being honest. 

Will most likely never buy anything from them unless its a complete emergency. 

That's dumb, I don't know why it would cost more because its a 17". The only difference I found is the bead is a little hard to break but with there machines it shouldn't be any problem

• Like 1

My stock 17 rims are tubeless.

Then they aren't stock.

@150ron the bead is stiffer than normal dirt tires, let them sit out in the sun for a few hours to soften them up or use a heat gun. A good set of tire spoons and a rag will help keep your wheels looking fresh

• Like 1

That's dumb, I don't know why it would cost more because its a 17". The only difference I found is the bead is a little hard to break but with there machines it shouldn't be any problem

I agree,  but its still $15 bucks,  so not that bad,  $10 for the 18/21 dirt set up,  you bring in the wheel. 

I agree, but its still $15 bucks, so not that bad, $10 for the 18/21 dirt set up, you bring in the wheel.

ya that's not bad. Like stated above its easy to not scratch them. I don't worry about it because i have scratches all over them anyways from off-roading. Do it yourself :)
  • Like 1

ya that's not bad. Like stated above its easy to not scratch them. I don't worry about it because i have scratches all over them anyways from off-roading. Do it yourself :)

These rims are so nice and new,  pics do not do them justice   :D

First few times i wiped them off,  a little blue was on the towel,  thats how new they are.

s to sm5.JPG

• Like 1

These rims are so nice and new, pics do not do them justice :D

First few times i wiped them off, a little blue was on the towel, thats how new they are.

haha true!! I haven't cleaned my wheels in a while. To much work lol went on a little ride the other day.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400876609.529891.jpg
  • Like 1

Oh ya also! I'm gonna be down in Huntington Beach for a week at the beginning of August, and sometime in November.. We should go on a ride!?

• Like 1

These rims are so nice and new, pics do not do them justice :D

First few times i wiped them off, a little blue was on the towel, thats how new they are.

I feel your pain M8

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400876701.564813.jpg

Mine are plasti dipped, next time I do tires I'm going to have to redo them both. Bike hasn't seen dirt yet this season either, too scared of getting them dirty :lol:

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz
  • Like 1

haha true!! I haven't cleaned my wheels in a while. To much work lol went on a little ride the other day.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400876609.529891.jpg

Those the stock D208'S?  looks great,   

If possible for sure. 

Those blue rims look so much better with your plastics,  i think on me bike its just TOO much blue...   originally really wanted to get OEM black rims,  but found a trade for these and went for it. 

Those the stock D208'S? looks great,

If possible for sure.

Those blue rims look so much better with your plastics, i think on me bike its just TOO much blue... originally really wanted to get OEM black rims, but found a trade for these and went for it.

Haha I've been trying to trade my black ones for blue ones since they came out, no dice