Sign in to follow this  

Kush Sprocket replacement

well, my original Kush Sprocket was starting to loose the little rubber "thingys" after about 6K miles, sent a pic to Ryan at Kush and he sent me a new sprocket...WOW...got it in less then 5 days from their facility in China (Kush is out of Australia)

I enclosed two pics, one of the old, version 1, and one of the new, version 2

lighter than a steel sprocket but not quite as light as all aluminum, chain still fits like a glove on the old sprocket, but I was wondering what to do about the rubber things missing, up to 4 now and they sent me a new sprocket (they offer lifetime warranty)...like the Brits say "thats a pretty bang up job"

I was gonna buy Warp 9 wheels just so I could get a cush drive but they would have cost close to $1200 so I bought one of these instead, seat of the pants tells me I can feel the differance and with over 21k miles on my DRZ I do whatever I can to make my bike last as long as possible

DRZ400 41 tooth rear sprocket.jpg

new Kush sprocket.jpg

• Like 2

Never saw that before, that's pretty cool. Just like a normal sprocket except rubber mounted? Steel or aluminum? What's pricing like?

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

wow that's nice. I have never heard or seen that before. I like the cush drive. did not know warp9 came with cush drive.

Warp 9 offered a cush drive years ago but they quit selling them I guess

I found these on the web about 2 years ago and contacted Ryan about them, fast email, fast shipping

I think this product is awesome but just never caught on

more than rubber mounted, it rides on a ball bearing track inside the sprocket and then slides into the rubber "thingys" to cushion the driveline

almost all street bikes have a cush drive as well as the Japanese spec only DRZ so when I reviewed this product I thought it just made good engineering sense and not just snake oil

Ryan, their sales guy, has always been quick to respond to emails and any questions I had, really a good company and I would like to seem them succeed, I think they bought some ad space here but didn't get much of a response, so many companies today just selling junk and failure prone products so I am happy dealing with these guys and try to promote them when I can

I got the 41 tooth version because I ride my S model DRZ mostly on the street, cost was about $95, pretty good price when you look at the craftsmanship involved plus lifetime warranty

• Like 2

well, my original Kush Sprocket was starting to loose the little rubber "thingys" after about 6K miles, sent a pic to Ryan at Kush and he sent me a new sprocket...WOW...got it in less then 5 days from their facility in China (Kush is out of Australia)

I enclosed two pics, one of the old, version 1, and one of the new, version 2

lighter than a steel sprocket but not quite as light as all aluminum, chain still fits like a glove on the old sprocket, but I was wondering what to do about the rubber things missing, up to 4 now and they sent me a new sprocket (they offer lifetime warranty)...like the Brits say "thats a pretty bang up job"

I was gonna buy Warp 9 wheels just so I could get a cush drive but they would have cost close to $1200 so I bought one of these instead, seat of the pants tells me I can feel the differance and with over 21k miles on my DRZ I do whatever I can to make my bike last as long as possible

that's interesting. i'd like to try one out and compare it to a normal, full sized (gs400) cush drive on my drz. 

the cush drive definitely adds to the life of the chain and sprockets, at least the one i have does. 5,000 miles and barely any stretch has happened. the dirt wheels without a cush only get 3-4000 miles out of a chain though :(

Yeah .. I ordered one of the First ones available , the company then contacted me and said they were " unsure " of the life expectancy .

I was not prepared to be their Guinea Pigg .. So I bailed out .

I would definitely check out the reviews on this product before I commit .

I do like the idea though

Edited by ITS CHOOKEN

Been interested and reading on these for as long as they've been around! (10 years?)

They've never lasted. Your's is I think the longest I've heard of the rubbers lasting. Many at 2,000 miles.  They stopped selling them for awhile after the first round fell apart. Said they were "redesigning them" but when they started selling them again they were exactly the same and had the same failures from what I read.  Everyone loved them.

While they worked.

And then they broke. 

A few engineers piped in on the discussion that the design just isn't workable. Too much stress on the rubbers means they ARE going to fail. Few other problems (they said) with the design that really didn't look workable. That was THEIR opinion.

Additionly: Hondas XR650L doesn't come with a cush drive. nor do several other big bore thumpers that make a lot of torque. If the manufacturers don't think that bikes with way more torque need them, then why do we think we do on these small displacment machines? 

Still, I understand babying your bikes, that's why I was interested!  :)

Edited by MindBlower

Been interested and reading on these for as long as they've been around! (10 years?)

They've never lasted. Your's is I think the longest I've heard of the rubbers lasting. Many at 2,000 miles.  They stopped selling them for awhile after the first round fell apart. Said they were "redesigning them" but when they started selling them again they were exactly the same and had the same failures from what I read.  Everyone loved them.

While they worked.

And then they broke. 

A few engineers piped in on the discussion that the design just isn't workable. Too much stress on the rubbers means they ARE going to fail. Few other problems (they said) with the design that really didn't look workable. That was THEIR opinion.

Additionly: Hondas XR650L doesn't come with a cush drive. nor do several other big bore thumpers that make a lot of torque. If the manufacturers don't think that bikes with way more torque need them, then why do we think we do on these small displacment machines? 

Still, I understand babying your bikes, that's why I was interested!   :)

interesting info, thanks. i've always been happy with the cush drives on street bikes. huge rubber pucks that usually consist of 5-6 that are more than 3/4" thick, and 1 1/2 - 3" long. overbuilt so they last. this sprocket with the tiny rubber bits looks like it's possible since the bikes are much lower power than street bikes, but there is still a good deal of vibration/slap from it being a thumper... etc

the gs400 wheel i have on my drz has normal sized street cush drive. there is a definite noticable difference between non-cush drive and the cush while riding. it's a very positive experience, having all the manueverability of a drz and a nice compliant drivetrain all in one package. last week i worked on a dr435 (dr350 overbore) that had the stock street wheels (S/SE models have a cush!) on it, and the combination of a cush + sixth gear + nice power = me looking for a dr350 to replace my drz. not only is the cush and sixth a great combination, but the handling of the dr350 is better suited to my offroad riding than the drz. blah, guess i'm rambling. anyway, i just love cush ;-)

interesting info, thanks. i've always been happy with the cush drives on street bikes. huge rubber pucks that usually consist of 5-6 that are more than 3/4" thick, and 1 1/2 - 3" long. overbuilt so they last. this sprocket with the tiny rubber bits looks like it's possible since the bikes are much lower power than street bikes, but there is still a good deal of vibration/slap from it being a thumper... etc

the gs400 wheel i have on my drz has normal sized street cush drive. there is a definite noticable difference between non-cush drive and the cush while riding. it's a very positive experience, having all the manueverability of a drz and a nice compliant drivetrain all in one package. last week i worked on a dr435 (dr350 overbore) that had the stock street wheels (S/SE models have a cush!) on it, and the combination of a cush + sixth gear + nice power = me looking for a dr350 to replace my drz. not only is the cush and sixth a great combination, but the handling of the dr350 is better suited to my offroad riding than the drz. blah, guess i'm rambling. anyway, i just love cush ;-)

Oh, the stock kush drives are great.  And this is a great idea. Just hard to make those tiny bits last. 

I have an 85 XR350 with a 6 speed and the greater flexability for gearing for dual sport use just amazing.  

Shame the DRZ doesn't have one.  Easy to gear low enough for trails and still cruise 70 without screaming it's guts out. 

I am interested in 1 of these but there website isn't working and I can't seem to find any contact details whatsoever.

Is anyone able to give me some contact details for Ryan or Kush sprockets?

Additionly: Hondas XR650L doesn't come with a cush drive. nor do several other big bore thumpers that make a lot of torque. If the manufacturers don't think that bikes with way more torque need them, then why do we think we do on these small displacment machines? :)

The xr650l tends to eat its own countershaft as a result of the repetative pounding on the drivetrain provided by the impact loading of a large displacement single. In fact, there is a massive thread on the 600/650 forum about these sprockets because the current list of mod options to alleviate the countershaft wear issue is fairly limited. Also, the xr650R does have a cushioned clutch. I think that the fact that honda engineered that into the more advanced and more powerful R model speaks to the engineering advantage of a cush or some type of impact attenuator in the drive train. Also as noted already, suzuki even built drz's with cush hubs for other markets.

I swapped a cush drive onto my xr600r and the improvement is incredible! No chain slap when lugging, the torque delivery seems smoother and it really just mellows out the ride.

Wait, so are they available for the drz400 because I will be ordering one on Friday if so. The Web isn't working for me. Can you post or message contact for me please?

• Like 1

Aside from being cool, I'm not sure it's something needed on an "S".

I recall reading that there's an internal "cush drive" mechanism, could be that radial array of 6 springs in the back face of the clutch basket, like Part #1 seen here:

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/53fb514b6d81f594647e4dda/clutch

If so, that cush sprocket design is a solution looking for a problem :excuseme:

Maybe someone whose been inside an "S" will weigh in here :worthy:

jmo

:ride:

Edited by Kenstone

Yeah .. The XR Honda's need a Cush system , the 2 XR's i had chewed the counter shaft .

The xr650l tends to eat its own countershaft as a result of the repetative pounding on the drivetrain provided by the impact loading of a large displacement single. In fact, there is a massive thread on the 600/650 forum about these sprockets because the current list of mod options to alleviate the countershaft wear issue is fairly limited. Also, the xr650R does have a cushioned clutch. I think that the fact that honda engineered that into the more advanced and more powerful R model speaks to the engineering advantage of a cush or some type of impact attenuator in the drive train. Also as noted already, suzuki even built drz's with cush hubs for other markets.

I swapped a cush drive onto my xr600r and the improvement is incredible! No chain slap when lugging, the torque delivery seems smoother and it really just mellows out the ride.