Race on drugs

Hope not, I took a couple aspirin for years before I rode.

I was thinking that it might help prevent a heart attack,but pain and fatigue sounds like a good reason as well! ?

Aspirin's a blood thinner, so if you're injured your blood may have a harder time clotting. That's the danger I've heard about - and it goes for any activity with a significant risk of injury.

• Like 1

If I know I am going to race or have a taxing ride.  I start prepping 2 or 3 days before.  Try to eat better and drink tons of water.  I also take a couple Ibuprofen about an hour before I am going to ride.  Seems to help with my stamina and arm pump.  I would hardly call it racing on drugs rather preparing your body for the best it can be when you are going to abuse it.  I have even been known to have a beer or two to relax.  But I only do that if I know I am well hydrated or it will only make it worse.

• Like 2

Aspirin shouldn't really be used as a pain killer. I know I grew up using it for that but there are so many alternatives with little to no side effects that there's really no need for it. As mentioned earlier, Aspirin is now used primarily as an anticoagulant and while it isn't the strongest of that class, it still affects blood clotting and might hurt more than help if you got into a serious accident. That said, there's a big difference between taking a couple before a race/ride, and taking them daily, so if it's what you have available then you should be fine. Next time though it might be worth buying acetaminophen (aka paracetamol depending on where you live) instead. 

Ibuprofen might also help if your prone to sore muscles, but taking NSAIDs for more than a few days at a time can also have unpleasant side effects (not great for your intestines, for one). 

Sorry, nurse-rant over  ?

Edited by Porkchop Sandwich
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ibuprofen would be my first choice since it reduces pain and inflammation. But don't take it daily as it will effect your kidneys and liver over time. 2 weeks is usually the longest it is prescribed. However if you are worried about thinning of the blood or have a clotting issue like Idiopathic Thrombcentepenic Papura stay away from Ibuprofen because anti-inflammatory thin the blood and reduce clotting ability. Take acetaminophen which will help with the pain but not act as an anti-inflammatory to help with healing.

A baby aspirin (only 81mg) is usually what is prescribed for blood thinning to prevent stroke, atrial fib etc. Aspirin is only a pain killer and does nothing to help with inflammation. It is also pretty rough on the stomach if the standard dosage is taken for an extended period of time. Would be the last drug I would take for pain.

Edited by ghostbuster2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

16 vitamin I? (that's what cyclists call it) Hard on your heart, hard on your liver, hard on your body in general.

The only nurse rant I would add to Porkchop's post is that if you are going to use Ibuprofen before a race, make sure you eat a few crackers, a power bar, something to prevent stomach upset. There are folks, myself included, who wind up with a roaring case of acid reflux if you take NSAIDS like Ibuprofen, etc. Not much fun if you are riding and all this burning acid is bubbling up your esophagus from your stomach.

Now my nurse rant is over.... :rant:

I had seen on the news a few months back that Ibuprofen studies have recently shown not to take that medication before heavy physical exertion. Something about stomach ulcers and bleeding. My lower back is shot, and I've done the pill thing in the past with mixed results. I would google natural/legal pain killers and you might find success like I did, but I'm not saying what substance it is because like opiates you can develop a habit. I will tell you it is a legal tree leaf not from this country... and for me it takes away my back pain better than any pill. Oh, and it's good for sex  ?