2013 Drz sm can't keep the oil in this thing

The majority of the time when we see this sort of post it is because the poster isn't checking the oil correctly.  As planetwister indicated, run your DRZ for 5 minutes or more and then shut it off.  Wait for a couple of minutes and then check your oil height.

:ride:

I'm checking it after I ride. I cut the bike off and let it sit for about a minute. Stand it straight up and check oil.

Every now and again I can smell a hint of burnt oil but I always assumed that was other vehicles around me since its not all the time....... not sure what's going on. I'm gonna call the dealership tuesday and see if they will warranty a compression check.

I don't have any leaks or noticeable smoke. Every time I check my oil after a change I'm low........like not on the dip stick. I top it off and check it 500 miles later and gone again......&%$#@!

it's a thumper, it's going to use oil. so long as you're checking it properly and it's not using a quart every oil change, ride on and don't worry. 

Break in is a bitch on oil consumption, but this sounds a bit more than that. You definitely want to keep it topped up but not overfull (believe me, bad things happen to these motors when they dry out), but be sure you're measuring it right. 

Do you notice any oil spray on the side of the engine? Oil under the drain bolts? Maybe a gasket leak somewhere along the way, any overly dirty bits on your bike where dirt/road grime is especially tenacious?

• Like 1

The best way to check the oil is don't . Its very hard to get an accurate reading on the oil level . My xr250 was a similar setup like the drz . I would check it after every ride . Turns out I was adding too much oil . Bike was way over filled  , Lucky I didn't blow up the motor . You are best just measuring the oil volume when you change the oil and leaving it alone . If you HAVE to check it , do that 3 minute thing . Start it up cold , run it 3 minutes , turn it off . Let it sit for 3 minutes , then check it . With the xr250  I was adding an ounce or two every time I rode it . When I changed the oil , there was over 2 quarts in it .  Be careful .

The best way to check the oil is don't . Its very hard to get an accurate reading on the oil level . My xr250 was a similar setup like the drz . I would check it after every ride . Turns out I was adding too much oil . Bike was way over filled  , Lucky I didn't blow up the motor . You are best just measuring the oil volume when you change the oil and leaving it alone . If you HAVE to check it , do that 3 minute thing . Start it up cold , run it 3 minutes , turn it off . Let it sit for 3 minutes , then check it . With the xr250  I was adding an ounce or two every time I rode it . When I changed the oil , there was over 2 quarts in it .  Be careful .

i don't understand how you messed up checking the oil. 

I was about a half quart to low. Its possible I underfilled it last oil change but i will watch it and see what it does.

I don't think not checking the oil is the answer. The point is to let the oil circulate and then sit long enough to settle for a reading........if you werent suppose to check it they wouldnt put crosshatch on the dipstick for a level check.

I don't see how the stator could cause smoke out of the exhaust. To get blue smoke in the exhaust, oil must get into the combustion chamber. The only way for that to happen is past the rings. Old rings, damaged bore, or damaged piston. Edit: or rings stuck in the grooves.

When the stator goes bad it does get a nice black char on it, but that wouldn't use enough oil to measure.

Edited by overgrownmoose

" I don't understand how you messed up checking the oil "      Its not that hard to mess up with a bike that carries its oil in the frame . Any other bike you can just look at the oil window and see . The oil in the frame eventually drains into the engine . That's why they say wait 3 minutes and check it . What if I wait 5 minutes? Maybe its a rookie mistake but...." been there , done that " 

I don't see how the stator could cause smoke out of the exhaust. To get blue smoke in the exhaust, oil must get into the combustion chamber. The only way for that to happen is past the rings. Old rings, damaged bore, or damaged piston. Edit: or rings stuck in the grooves.

When the stator goes bad it does get a nice black char on it, but that wouldn't use enough oil to measure.

this is incorrect. 

overfilled,  = oil into intake through recovery tank, burning oil

bad valve guides = burning oil

bad ring alignment = burning oil

LOTS of things can lead to burning oil. 

also the oil will have a very distinct, very nasty smell of burned electronics if/when the stator goes. 

this is incorrect. 

bad valve guides = burning oil

also the oil will have a very distinct, very nasty smell of burned electronics if/when the stator goes. 

overgrownmoose said

"To get blue smoke in the exhaust, oil must get into the combustion chamber"

​THATS OIL IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER 

guides = burning oil

Yes, lots of things can lead to oil in the combustion chamber,

But the point is, in order to get blue oil smoke out the exhaust, oil has to be in the combustion chamber 

To the OP.

​If your really not sure if your oil check is accurate.. Take a few minutes, drain in to a clean catch pan and measure it.. All good? Pour back in and ride

• Like 2