Sign in to follow this  

04 450 exc

Let me start by saying, I'm not used to 4t's, came off a 440 exc 2t that was a torque monster on bottom, light switch hit in upper range and I couldn't hang on to it, physically. Too old for that type of bike, anyhow, I bought this 04 as literally my last bike. I want to enjoy it, don't want a unrideable bike, but don't want to settle for lame either.

With that said, this is what I need to know,

Does the 04 KTM 450 exc have a rev limiter?

Or will it float valves or just blow?

I've kept myself from screaming this bike too bad so far, because I don't know what to expect.

Does the top end power fall off, flat?

I've seen comments about people just lugging, riding them on just bottom end power.

Where's the fun in just torque. When does the power hit on the 450?

Don't get me twisted, I know it has power but let's face it its no big bore 2t.

I've ridden this thing 2days so far (10 hrs 2 days), I'm not disappointed in it so far, but not overly impressed either, with its power overall.

Maybe geared too low???

I've had it up to 68mph off road in 6th gear, but it was screaming. Also ran out of runway. Lol

I've heard people say they are just too much of a handful to ride all the time, but so far I'm not seeing it?

I'm not even in the greatest of shape health wise either.

What gearing do you guys run in desert?

Woods?

I'm trying to get this thing and me, sorted out.

I will say its a fun bike, totally rideable.

But I'm not wanting to blow the engine, but need to know if required, will it take barcia type overrev?

Should I convert it to a 525 to get more out of it?

Or regear it to up ground speed and lower rpms?

I know I need to adjust my riding style, because of engine braking, I'm working on that. If its hard on the bike I don't want to be screaming it all the time like a 125. I'm just not familiar with how much these 4t's can take. Don't need to find out the hard way. That's why I am asking this.

What's your set up gearing wise, how do you ride your 450? Scream it regularly or keep conservative?

I'm asking for your advice.

Give me your opinions, please.

Thanks.

I run my 09 450 XC-W in desert. I run 14/52 and the thing will haul the mail. I think you need to be shifting more and trust the bike will easily pull a taller gear than you would expect from a 2 stroke. No need to rev its guts out.

• Like 1

I have an 06, which is basically the same as the 04, but a few refinements and improvements. Final drive ratio is 14/50, which allows me some better highway manners. 

There is an RFS section at KTMtalk.com with some very knowledgeable people that can answer all your questions, and advice on what to improve.

• Like 1

I run 14-50 on my 525EXC for all around. Just desert then 14-48, I have two wheels. These bikes will not have the quick rev of a 2st or a MX/SX 4st 450. They are a slower rev, ride it all day type of power. You can rev it, it wont hurt it, but it wont do much for you as the motor is a midrange motor. Keep the valves adjusted every 35 hrs os so, jet it right and it will run. The difference from a 450 to 525 is the 450 is a little soft on the bottom, but once the 450 revs up I feel no difference.

• Like 1

I have an 06 400 EXC which is essentially a 450 with a shorter stroke.  It revs like a raped ape and yes my valves went bad shortly after I purchased it years ago. Previous owner apparently beat on it pretty hard.  I run a 14/52 setup here in Florida with lots of sand.  She runs great and I really dont scream it to bad.  Keep the valves adjusted and oill changed etc.. dont beat on it silly like reving until it dont rev anymore and she will last a long time.

• Like 1

They do have a rev limiter, but in stock trim you are unlikely to reach it. Under carbed and cam'd stock. A 41mm carb with the sx cam will wake it up and give a better mid-top power with about 10% loss in the bottom.

They are a pretty much bullet proof, but the reason a lot of people lug them is because the more you rev it in corners, the more the crank weight will make it want to stand up.

I'm sure once you have it set up you will love it.

• Like 1