Sign in to follow this  

Dirtbike moving with clutch pulled in

Hey guys just need some help I got a 07 Yzf 250 not too Lomg ago and it has been a really great bike so far but today I fell pretty hard and after writhing on the ground for a few seconds I went ver and turned on the bike and picked it up, than starting it when I clicked it into gear it would lurch forward and die, I finally got it going and drove home and now when I drive it with the clutch pulled in it it moves forward like the clutch is out, I use amsoil 10w40 synthetic btw.

Hey guys just need some help I got a 07 Yzf 250 not too Lomg ago and it has been a really great bike so far but today I fell pretty hard and after writhing on the ground for a few seconds I went ver and turned on the bike and picked it up, than starting it when I clicked it into gear it would lurch forward and die, I finally got it going and drove home and now when I drive it with the clutch pulled in it it moves forward like the clutch is out, I use amsoil 10w40 synthetic btw.

Check your clutch cable, it might need to be readjusted.  

Edited by Honda_Power

All MX clutches drag a bit especially when the engine is cold.  If it takes anything more than a quick rev as you drop the bike into gear on a cold engine, though, then you may have some problems.  Firstly, check the cable.   Secondly, aluminum clutch plates are for racers not riders.  Get rid of them.  Third, check for a notched basket or hub.  Fourth, if you already have steel plates, check them for flatness.  The friction plates can also warp but I have not really seen that on any of my bikes.

Remember, on dirt bikes there is nothing that actually separates the clutch plates from each other.  When you pull the clutch lever it moves the pressure plate off the stack but there is nothing that actually separates the stack so you will always get some drag.  Any burrs or notches on the basket make it that much harder for the stack to separate itself.

Edited by 1987CR250R
  • Like 1

All MX clutches drag a bit especially when the engine is cold.  If it takes anything more than a quick rev as you drop the bike into gear on a cold engine, though, then you may have some problems.  Firstly, check the cable.   Secondly, aluminum clutch plates are for racers not riders.  Get rid of them.  Third, check for a notched basket or hub.  Fourth, if you already have steel plates, check them for flatness.  The friction plates can also warp but I have not really seen that on any of my bikes.

Remember, on dirt bikes there is nothing that actually separates the clutch plates from each other.  When you pull the clutch lever it moves the pressure plate off the stack but there is nothing that actually separates the stack so you will always get some drag.  Any burrs or notches on the basket make it that much harder for the stack to separate itself.

ok thanks, I'll pull er apart soon and check it out

What side (left or right) was the bike laying on as you writhed on the ground in pain?

What side (left or right) was the bike laying on as you writhed on the ground in pain?

well of wasn't too long first thing I did was get up and turned it off but it was right side

Assuming nothing got bent, broken, or somehow damaged in the crash, I may just be excess engine oil soaking the clutch plates.