Sign in to follow this  

Front brake issue

Just replaced front pads ....pads are dragging ....haven't bled system yet ...caliper and pistons move in and out freely with a c clamp ....any suggestions..... 85 xr 350

The caliper actually floats on a set of pins. Lots of times those pins can corrode and keep the caliper from floating freely...giver a look

• Like 4

Well I ordered a set of the little pins that go into the pads themselves on account they had a good groove worn into them ....I still had the issue after removing them ...the large pins I cleaned up greased and reinstalled... I'll have to double check them ....thanks for the advice

The caliper actually floats on a set of pins. Lots of times those pins can corrode and keep the caliper from floating freely...giver a look

Also, isn't a very slight amount of drag normal? Most noticed with a warped disk. The hydraulic pressure is relieved, nothing pulls the pads back?

Mike

That little square seal is called a rollback seal and it actually pulls the pistons back  slightly when you release the brakes. But yes, theres usually still a slight amount of drag. 

• Like 1

Its definitely more then slight drag lol.... I'm thinking that I have crap in slide holes themselves.... I cleaned slides but didn't think of checking the holes themselves

• Like 1

Pop the cap from the master clyinder as it may now be over filled and see what happens.

Another little poser ....went riding today ...front brake locked up ..almost put me over a Burm ... Put a pair plyers on caliper to attempt pushing caliper in a bit to limp it home...with little pressure the calpier popped like it had a frozen slide and freed up...caliper has a bit of play in it... Is it possible and caliper just worn out ?.... If so is there compatibility chart somewhere to find a replacement front caliper

Could also be the master cylinder sticking - either corrosion in the bore, or a bad seal.  I wouldn't go throwing more money at the problem just yet.  You can disassemble the caliper and m/c to check for corrosion/sticking, and/or bad seals relatively easily.  Just takes time.  Unlikely that the caliper is worn out.  In that case you're likely to get spongy brakes, not brake lock.

FYI, some good advice from another TT forum:

That small hole in the MC is the bleed hole. If it clogs your brake won't release, as you know.

Other things that can cause that are collapsed line and messed up caliper pistons.

Easy to diagnose. When the brake system locks, crack the bleeder on the caliper, if the brakes return the caliper is fine. Lock it up again and crack open the banjo fitting holding the line to the MC, if the brake caliper returns, the line and caliper are good. Last, (like you did), clean out the bleed hole in the MC. If brakes still malfunction then rebuild the MC. 

I had this problem on mine. I just sprayed some W-D 40 on the pins and rubber boots. But beware after doing this you won't have any front brakes for awhile xD

• Like 1

The pads foat on one or two pins depending on year, but there are also pins the thecaliper floats on. IMO free movement on the later is more important than the former. They have seals but the grease can dry out and cause binding.