Sign in to follow this  

Tranny oil?

Is it okay for me to run 10 40 bel ray synthetic ester blend thumper oil In the tranny of my yz250? Currently running bel ray gear saver 80wt or something like that.

Am I compromising the integrity of my motor by running an oil designed for four strokes?

Two strokes don't much care what you run in the transmission, but you may want to avoid certain friction modifiers in oils designed to be "fuel savers" in cars.  I have no idea of the source, but it seems that I have read that some of them can make wet clutches slip.  

I personally just run whatever basic 10w40 motor oil is on sale at the autoparts store.  When I started riding dirt bikes back in the 70s, owners manuals specified 10w40 (or 20w50) motor oil.  I've kept using that, because while many things on bikes have changed, transmissions are still the same. I've only had one transmission failure in all those years (about 10 years ago), and that was due to mud and debris (in a total downpour harescramble) packing so hard in my coutershaft area, that it forced through the seal and wrecked the output shaft bearing.  And even though I'm a relentless clutch abuser, my clutches seem to last longer than many of my riding buds, probably because I do change the cheap oil fairly often.  

Some guys will say that they notice better shifting with ATF, or Gear Saver, or whatever magical trans oil, but I've never noticed any difference on the occasions that I have tried such oils.  I don't think much about how my bikes are shifting when I ride however, so maybe I'm just insensitive.  

• Like 1

Motorcycle trans oil is whaf youre supposed to use....some of those 4 strokers have their clutch oil separate from their engine oil. Bittom line is you want an oil made for wet clutches.