Sign in to follow this  

DR650 Bar End Mirrors?

Hey guys, I am new to the forum here. I just started riding my first motorcycle about two weeks back.......a DR650. It is my dad's bike, but I am buying it from him. He already has some mods done to it............FMF exhaust, jetted the carb, air box has beed modded..............I am ordering a 790 Big Bore Kit as well as a Performance Camshaft from ProCycle within the next few days. Anyhow, my question to you guys is this...................I need a good set of Bar-End mirrors...................I can't use the stock mirrors at all................no matter how I adjust them..............all I can see are my arms and shoulders. Can anyone suggest a set that they know is high quality, fits the bike, and looks awesome??

Edited by Big Bore 790

While that is cool..................I just bought a new helmet when I decided that I was going to take up riding. Plus, any extra money that I have right now is going towards paying my dad for the bike........as well as ordering the big bore kit and the new cam...............so until I can save up some more $$$ I am going to have to settle for a far less expensive solution...........and find a nice set of bar end mirrors.

IMO, keep the bike as is, save your money for next bike instead of the big bore kit. It's riding season, not working on bike season.

Bar end mirrors may look more tidy, but require you to take your eyes off the direction of travel, further than regular mirrors, likely still need you to move your head or upper body to see behind you clearly anyway, might as well keep the original mirrors and move your head and upper body to see behind you.

Bar end mirrors just extend your bike's overall width, not good for staying nimble and minimal to go between cars when traffic come to a stand still.

A big thumper like DR650 probably vibrates enough to make rearview through mirror blurry anyway, get used to turning your head and moving your body to get good view behind you.

Good luck.

Edited by cat0020

Good call cat0020, get a supermoto'd xr650r and you won't need mirrors cuz you're always in front.

Good call cat0020, get a supermoto'd xr650r and you won't need mirrors cuz you're always in front.

You mean like this? tough fun for short distance joints, sustained highway speed is similar to riding on a pain shaker, rock hard seating and thirsty for fuel no matter how conservative you ride... but fun for sure.

DSC02628.jpg

Mine is fully tricked and as fast as, can pretty much keep up with anything to about 80mph. Turns heads everywhere.

1400948405061.jpg

The thing is..................I plan on keeping this bike for a VERY long time..............I might not purchase another bike for myself for another 10 years or more. I really like big DR and with some power mods, such as the big bore kit, new cam, and carb.............it will be even more fun that it already is. The way I figure it is why should I spend $15K for a new cutting edge standard when I can have tons of fun on this thing on a budget. Will I ever purchase another bike, sure........but it will be a long time............the big DR is good enough for me, and will be fun to work on with my dad..................in fact.........that's half the reason for modding it in the first place.........spending time with my father. 

I just found some extensions on good ol' eBay that push the stock mirrors out just far enough to make it possible to see past my shoulders. I found some that come in black anodized or straight aluminum. They are very easy to install, and more importantly, are CHEAP! 

The big bore kit in the dr is very reliable. Plenty of guys on drriders.com with lots of miles. I personally went with a 233 cam h/c piston fcr39mx and gsxr exhaust in full sumo regalia. I like this set up on the motor for its over rev capabilities. Suits my riding style. And I'm pushing 55, 000 miles now.

get some cheap sean ken or ken sean mirrors & chop them down so that you see through the arm pits like so:

107114884.jpg

they work well for me. problem with extending mirrors up and out is vibration

Edited by plugeye

Mine is fully tricked and as fast as, can pretty much keep up with anything to about 80mph. Turns heads everywhere.

why do you want heads to turn?

i only want a low profile, do not even notice me please. the cops never hassle me

Where I go people take pride in their machines, turn heads come naturally! Especially when they know what they are looking at.

Where I go people take pride in their machines, turn heads come naturally! Especially when they know what they are looking at.

understood.

pride in a machine has little to do with appearance to some of us

I am lucky enough to be in a position to own several machines and all are in fantastic if not near new condition. I am a seasonal rider and only use them as toys. I feel it is always nice to see a good example. Yet if I had to use a bike to commute it would probably be a different story.

Search Ebay for

"Black Motorcycle 3" Round 7/8" Handle Bar End Rearview Mirrors Side Mirrors HG"

I ordered two, but they come as a set so i have two in reserve !!

i paid $9.99 w/free shipping (slow boat from chine - 3 wks)

they fit between my Enduro Engineering Bark busters, i used the expansion bolt from the bark busters, it slides through the mirror mount.

Pretty sano, they look good, not too much vibe on the road, fold up nice for trail work.

i replaced the mirror mount nut at the socket with nylon insert lock nut.

20131215_112450.jpg

• Like 1