Sign in to follow this  

Any XR400M Love ?

Hi All,

just taken delivery of my XR400M, any love for these rare beats ?

Have owned many many bikes over the years and after a long absence of a scooter in the garage bought an XR400 about a year ago. 

As I only intend to ride on the road I put road tyres on it but found it was really lacking in the brake department for road use so I flicked that and bought the closest thing I could find to a new motard.

Any tips on what you guys have do re: carby mods etc ??

Also: any tips on how to insert a picture in the post ?

Rix400.jpg

• Like 1

nice ride mate... is that thing brand new ??

cheers

no it's not new, it's a 2008 (last year they made them I think) with 12,000k's on it

no it's not new, it's a 2008 (last year they made them I think) with 12,000k's on it

awesome... is there a few of those available in oz ?? was it sold in oz or is it an import ??

sweet ride 

awesome... is there a few of those available in oz ?? was it sold in oz or is it an import ??

sweet ride 

Yeah, it was sold in Oz as an import though I think as the manual is in Japansese !

I don't think they show up on the Honda service catalogs in Oz but there seems to be a few bits and pieces on eBay for them.

I did see that Gold Coast Suzuki have a nice clean one for sale right now, although it's all in Red

That's a nice bike. I really wish Honda would have sold those in the States. I think they would have done really well here. Would have given some competition to the DRZ400sm.

That's a nice bike. I really wish Honda would have sold those in the States. I think they would have done really well here. Would have given some competition to the DRZ400sm.

Thanks Mate !

yeah, the DRZ400SM is a nice bike but I've had a few XR's going back over 30 years so thought I'd stick with Honda :ride:

Looks to me like the size of the rotors are the same as any XR.. why is it better braking?

Rotors are bigger (at least on the front, not 100% about the rear) and front caliper has twin pistons *not sure if the XR400R had twins, but it has waaayyy better stopping power.

they did up until '04. i have a '98 version in the garage right now. i've been thinking of doing a sumo conversion on it. i'm currently riding a husaberg fs570 but at almost 13000 miles and 270+ hours i'm starting to get a little nervous that it's going to cost me soon. the xr will last until the apocolypse!

Looks to me like the size of the rotors are the same as any XR.. why is it better braking?

nah, the front is a 320mm which is pretty standard sumo setup. look at it in comparison to the rear. it's considerable bigger. in standard 18/21 setup they would be the same. 

yes, the larger the rotor the better the braking.