Sign in to follow this  

2003 vs 2013 CRF 450R

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to weigh in the differences here between my 03 450R and let's say a leftover 13 450R. When going to my local Honda dealership, I sat on one of their 2014's, which is not much if any different than a 13, and the bike felt smaller and lighter. However, when trying to find good specs between the two, it appears that the newer 450 is heavier and less powerful?? Now, I feel crazy! Please shed some light on this :)

A quick example of what I mean:

2003 CRF 450R

http://www.mbike.com/honda/crf450r/2003

2013 CRF 450R

http://www.mbike.com/honda/crf450r/2013

Thank you

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to weigh in the differences here between my 03 450R and let's say a leftover 13 450R. When going to my local Honda dealership, I sat on one of their 2014's, which is not much if any different than a 13, and the bike felt smaller and lighter. However, when trying to find good specs between the two, it appears that the newer 450 is heavier and less powerful?? Now, I feel crazy! Please shed some light on this :)

A quick example of what I mean:

2003 CRF 450R

http://www.mbike.com/honda/crf450r/2003

2013 CRF 450R

http://www.mbike.com/honda/crf450r/2013

Thank you

what you want is an 08 or a 12 :)

the 13 will be better with a remap, porting, cam, springs

suspension work.

the 13 is a great bike out the box. It needs some gentle help tho in the power and clutch department, also suspension to a degree. Remap, another tooth on the rear, some good clutch springs are all essentials imo. As for suspension its good but could be better! Overall tho they out handle the older crf's ive ridden both and the 13 feels alot smaller and nible then the older frames.

What I am asking tho is cold hard numbers. If you click on my links and read what's posted, you'd think the 2003 is a much better bike in theory cause it's listed as being lighter AND more powerful. I find that hard to believe.

What I am asking tho is cold hard numbers. If you click on my links and read what's posted, you'd think the 2003 is a much better bike in theory cause it's listed as being lighter AND more powerful. I find that hard to believe.

I get what youre saying man, but whats on paper and whats in practise is usually two different things. I think honda were optimistic with their numbers back then lol. I wouldnt get too involved with the spec side of things, a fresh new bike always feels better

Honda is detuning their 450 for Vet riders to make it easier to go fast on. That said, Im not entirely sure thats what guys actually want. When I last rode my 03 thats got a 13.5:1 piston in it, with a pipe and some other stuff, back to back with an 09 that had a boat load of tricks to it, my 03 was noticably faster.

If youre 6 foot or better with a little work, the 03 is pretty damn good bike. Get the suspension sorted and a couple minor motor mods...

But the 2013 with the same work...can be a pretty damn good bike. And thats the thing. If youre one of those guys that just puts gas in them and rides them as is...the 03 is probably a better bike. Throw the same mods at the two bikes, the 2013 wins... :excuseme:

• Like 1

Honda is detuning their 450 for Vet riders to make it easier to go fast on. That said, Im not entirely sure thats what guys actually want. When I last rode my 03 thats got a 13.5:1 piston in it, with a pipe and some other stuff, back to back with an 09 that had a boat load of tricks to it, my 03 was noticably faster.

my little brother bought a 09 or 10 (cant remember) and we drag raced on the wet sand and I was embarrassed... my 05 has a stage 2 cam, wiseco piston, barnett clutch, full exhaust, carb mods, SS intakes though :( and a polished head... he pretty much beat me, bone stock. that EFI 09 was way quicker than my done up 05 :( 

The '03 is less 'refined' in every way.

The refinement really started in 2006.

Better everything.

The '03 suffers from an older fork and shock and frame, which make the bike harsher, rougher, and less fun

It also has a finicky carb, that was updated in 2007, which you can retrofit the specific parts.

The 2003 is the first 'de-tuned' 450R. The '02 was even faster, but also more peaky.

...but the most important this is......you can't find a 2003 with low hours. Not a chance.