Sign in to follow this  

2009 yz250f with Athena 290 kit

Going to be a bit long, sorry. I got a 2009 yz250f with the Athena 290 kit off a reputable guy (well maintained). Bike has about 55 hours, kit has about 20 hours. Most of it is stock except the kit and non-engine related stuff. Runs great, sounds great, just a 

Runs great, sounds great, just a

Troll?

A, yz though?

Hey buddy, focus man!

You can do it!

????

Lmbo

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 2

I fell asleep. Kept writing and deleting, guess that is what I should be sorry for. Anyway, I was going to ask about how the heck you start it cold. I figured that out, hot is easy, warm is a pain... today was the first time it was just warm and I had to restart it. Doesn't matter if you click click it off or stall it. Anyone have any idea what the trick to start the bike that has a mind of it's own is (warm)? That's the first one. And just to give the background, hot it just starts... cold is two on throttle, choke if it's cold, kick 1-5 times. 

Second I haven't ridden anything for years so I got a quad, road someone's yz250f and that was all it took. The quad is a utility quad but I went to an MX track to practice (no high jumps obviously). I'm back out there with the YZ290F and practicing religiously. I've come close to eating it a few times but so far so good. The guy that let me ride the 250f, he says quit jumping, I find it is an essential skill. He hasn't seen me jump, I have seen him jump. On a trail or technical stuff, heck even straight out he'll beat me every time. Jump or no jump...? I'm thinking if I'm not suffering, not falling, not bottoming out and am landing well and building speed slowly over time I don't have a lot to worry about. 

Third, less really technical riding, I found getting on an MX track is the perfect "re-trainer" and that is on a utility quad. Hills, whoops, jumps, berms, flat turns, ruts, no ruts, mud, hard pack, everything except the stuff that you shouldn't ride on until you master something made to ride on. On a bike it is even better, no more slowing down because I'm on an 800 lbs beast that thinks berms are for going over, whoops should be flattened, and jumps are for sport machines. Is there somewhere better to go to get all the basic techniques back and build on them, other than "so and so's" riding school?

Lastly, anyone else have the Athena kit, what do you think of it?

I realize this could have been posted under different headings, I just wanted to cover it in one.  

I have the 290 Athena kit on my 2010, just gone 42 hours now and its running great, my mechanic checked the piston and ring last week when we did a Wr bottom end conversion and its all good

After a big bore install the bike needs rejetting leaner. Usually when bike is too rich it is difficult to hot start.

Do a search on big bore jetting and see if your symptoms are described.

I have a stock yz250f 09. If I kill it by falling over I have to crack the gas. Sometimes when it's cold I give it a quick half twist on the throttle then kick it through with no throttle and it starts good. If I kill it with the kill switch it just needs hot start pulled and a couple of kicks. You may need to play around with it to find out the technique.