Sign in to follow this  

Late 90's 125 2 stroke for 1000$ or less?

Basically I don't have a lot of money to spend on a bike, and I heard that a 2 stroke is basically the same as a 4 stroke in terms of power, except it's cheaper in terms of price. That being said I was wondering if I could pick up an older 2stroke for less than a thousand. I always see people on forums like this talking about how they picked up an older 2 stroke for next to nothing, the thing is I live in Canada. Do you think it's unrealistic given my location? I'd also appreciate some input on which bike you think is the best.

Basically I don't have a lot of money to spend on a bike, and I heard that a 2 stroke is basically the same as a 4 stroke in terms of power, except it's cheaper in terms of price. That being said I was wondering if I could pick up an older 2stroke for less than a thousand. I always see people on forums like this talking about how they picked up an older 2 stroke for next to nothing, the thing is I live in Canada. Do you think it's unrealistic given my location? I'd also appreciate some input on which bike you think is the best.

In biased, but I'm way against 125s bc they are gutless and terrible for trails. If you ride motocross then buy a 250 smoker, you'll be way happier.

Thing is a 125 has to run so hard to produce power, you'll spend a crapton on pistons every 30-40 hrs or less, and every 3-5 pistons you'll have to do a bottom end (lots of work, lots $$).

My friend had a CR 125 we did a top end for, then he called 2 months later saying the bottom end let go. He since bought a CRF 250 and rides that thing a ton faster. I mean a ton!!

So my suggestion is keeping ur eye out for a 250 two stroke.

In biased, but I'm way against 125s bc they are gutless and terrible for trails. If you ride motocross then buy a 250 smoker, you'll be way happier.

Thing is a 125 has to run so hard to produce power, you'll spend a crapton on pistons every 30-40 hrs or less, and every 3-5 pistons you'll have to do a bottom end (lots of work, lots $$).

My friend had a CR 125 we did a top end for, then he called 2 months later saying the bottom end let go. He since bought a CRF 250 and rides that thing a ton faster. I mean a ton!!

So my suggestion is keeping ur eye out for a 250 two stroke.

I don't race or do anything that extreme, I haven't really even rode a dirtbike other than at my friends a couple of times. I just want something cheap, powerful, and fast. Initially I thought a 125 would have been a &%$#@!ing tortoise, but then I see people talking about how "it's just as fast as a 250 4 stroke". The most I'd be doing is taking it off some small to medium sized jumps.. but I do excel fast. Keep in mind I'm only looking to spend around 1000$. /e Also I just turned 20 and I'm only like 130 pounds

Edited by Myster
  • Like 1

I'm on the big side (6'1, 215lbs) my 125 is most definitely not gutless & on the track it's a blast. But opinions are like a$$holes, as for the price issue, I'm not from Canada so I can't say, but as for what bike, I've only ridden one 125 from the late 90's & it was a yz125, I liked it. No issues, good power, handled well. But in my opinion I think that spending a little extra cash on a clean bike in the beginning can save you a lot in the end when it comes to buying used dirt bikes... And by clean, I don't mean new*, I mean well maintained.

Edited by BayAreaMoto510

I'm on the big side (6'1, 215lbs) my 125 is most definitely not gutless & on the track it's a blast. But opinions are like a$$holes, as for the price issue, I'm not from Canada so I can't say, but as for what bike, I've only ridden one 125 from the late 90's & it was a yz125, I liked it. No issues, good power, handled well. But in my opinion I think that spending a little extra cash on a clean bike in the beginning can save you a lot in the end when it comes to buying used dirt bikes... And by clean, I don't mean new*, I mean well maintained.

Yeah, I figured that a 125 would be enough for me, it's not like I'm some robust adult or anything. I have seen a lot of 250's for around 2000$ or less.. but people say that a 125 2 stroke is just as powerful yet cheaper. As for buying a well maintained it's something I alway try to look for, do you think I could find a bike in good condition for around 1000$ in Canada

I don't race or do anything that extreme, I haven't really even rode a dirtbike other than at my friends a couple of times. I just want something cheap, powerful, and fast. Initially I thought a 125 would have been a &%$#@!ing tortoise, but then I see people talking about how "it's just as fast as a 250 4 stroke". The most I'd be doing is taking it off some small to medium sized jumps.. but I do excel fast. Keep in mind I'm only looking to spend around 1000$. /e Also I just turned 20 and I'm only like 130 pounds

I weigh 195, you'll so better on the 125 than I ever could

Yeah, I figured that a 125 would be enough for me, it's not like I'm some robust adult or anything. I have seen a lot of 250's for around 2000$ or less.. but people say that a 125 2 stroke is just as powerful yet cheaper. As for buying a well maintained it's something I alway try to look for, do you think I could find a bike in good condition for around 1000$ in Canada

If you are checking Craigslist, I would definitely shop this in a wider radius than just where you live. Many of the bikes I bought involved some traveling to get them.  If I have to drive a big distance, I always confirm with the seller that they will at least wait for me to get there and not sell it out from under me while I am en route.  As far as your top dollar of $1000, I have gotten good running bikes for under $1000 in Texas...I just had to be diligent and patient---check ads throughout the day and be ready to act on it fast.   

I weigh 195, you'll so better on the 125 than I ever could

I understand what you're saying though, the thought has crossed my mind.  I didn't want to be stuck with something that was equivilent to moped in power. If I was any bigger/older I'd definitely be getting something other than a 125.

If you are checking Craigslist, I would definitely shop this in a wider radius than just where you live. Many of the bikes I bought involved some traveling to get them.  If I have to drive a big distance, I always confirm with the seller that they will at least wait for me to get there and not sell it out from under me while I am en route.  As far as your top dollar of $1000, I have gotten good running bikes for under $1000 in Texas...I just had to be diligent and patient---check ads throughout the day and be ready to act on it f

I've been checking Kijiji incessantly (which is just the Craigslist of Canada), and I'm yet to find anything. I've had no choice but to expand my region of search due to this. What year/model is the most desired? Is there any particular year/model that I should stay away from? Thanks

I understand what you're saying though, the thought has crossed my mind. I didn't want to be stuck with something that was equivilent to moped in power. If I was any bigger/older I'd definitely be getting something other than a 125.

I've ridden mostly 125's and 144's in my adult life. I have also owned/ridden 250f's and 250 2 strokes and the truth is I have a LOT more fun on the 125/144 machines. If you don't have much experience you'll be surprised at the power these little bikes have. My 150 is the best all around bike I've ridden so far. Don't let LOP fool you, the 125 2 strokes are plenty fast, just have to keep them singing, you can't be lazy on them like you can on a 250f. They will teach you important skills that will make you a better rider.

Don't believe the "I need a bigger bike" mentality. If you can ride a 125 2 stroke fast you'll be able to ride any bike fast. Stick with the 125 2 stroke, learn the basics then decide where to go from there.

Edited by poldies4

http://kalispell.craigslist.org/mcy/4469634598.html

Here is a good bike in the 125 category...cannot go wrong with a KTM as I see it.  In this ad he asks for $1700.  But this bike has been for sale for a little while now so it is not a fast mover at that price.  I get much of my stuff when it has been overpriced and not moving so fast due to price.  Try contacting someone like this and just chatting with them.  Tell them your situation and see if they can meet you in the middle somewhere (price and even driving if possible).  I have found you can do a lot in a phone call or two, or text.  Don't start your conversation with a low ball offer, just feel it out first and see where it goes...can be quite surprising sometimes. 

FWIW if you're looking pre 2003 I'd look for YZ, KX, RM, CR, SX in that order.

'm way against 125s bc they are gutless and terrible for trails.

Laugh Out Loud. 

Not true at all. 125's in the right hands are a great bike. I had no problems racing against guys on 450's with my well set up 144, it depends on the rider. 

I paid 1100 for my 01 kx250

Might as well get more power for your money

Laugh Out Loud. 

Not true at all. 125's in the right hands are a great bike. I had no problems racing against guys on 450's with my well set up 144, it depends on the rider. 

I don't think a 4 stroke 125 would be enough for me though. But I do like the sounds of the quick, agile 125 2 stroke.

I paid 1100 for my 01 kx250

Might as well get more power for your money

I &%$#@!ing wish. My area is so secluded from the rest of the province it prohibits me from finding a good deal. Do you know if I could potentially buy some plastic to make my bike look like a newer model? Some dirtbikes look super gay compared to others and I can't stand it. Some of the 80-90's models looked surprisingly modern though.

Edited by Myster

Laugh Out Loud.

The bike too. I knew a kid, weighed 130 lbs and ride the AA pro class on a 150 KTM, he rode like the wind.

But for most, why start with a 125 that needs major engine work to make it competitive?? It can be dun granted, just gotta spend the cash. Do the work. Set it up.