Sign in to follow this  

Is this a battery issue?

Hey guys,

Im a bit mechanically challenged so Im turning to you to help diagnose a problem with my 08 DRZ400.  :rolleyes: 

I recently bought the bike used and its been a blast! Unfortunately, the last two weeks I have not had time to ride it and did not think to hook it up to a trickle charger.

I tried to start it yesterday, the headlight and speedometer lit up but it would crank weakly.

So i hooked the battery up to my battery tender and within 30min it indicated the battery was fully charged.

Unfortunately when I try to start it, this is all I get...

[yt]http://youtu.be/WVmpgOK9eVA[/yt]

Is my battery dead? Or is is something else like a starter etc?

Thanks!

That could be either the battery or the starter. Sometimes batteries just lose their cranking amps yet still show voltage. Try jumping it off of a NON running car battery. Possibly take the old battery out of the bike completely because some batteries can go bad and actually draw a current themselves causing a jump start not to work.

So after 2 hours on the battery tender it started...just barely though  ;)

Any recommendations on a new battery? Anyone have good luck getting a larger battery to fit?

The 7Ah OE battery is fine unless you are starting it repeatedly in a very short space of time and hence it doesn't get recharged fast enough by the charging system, in which case the extra 3Ah can give you extra endurance

You should also look to do the 'free power mod' - this really helps with keeping the battery charged

A battery that has gone flat after two weeks is at the end of its life and needs replacing

Anyone have opinions on this bracket that lets you run a larger YTZ10-S battery?

http://www.happy-trail.com/drz400s/battery-box-drz400s-all-years.aspx

I have one, I posted a pic of my Shorai mounted in it on some other post, I have a 460 tire out back and it does not rub at all on the battery box, I bought the bigger box to make space for my Rowe Electronics relay, good quality for the price, good directions too

battrey box.jpg

Edited by motobobintexas
  • Like 1

So after 2 hours on the battery tender it started...just barely though  ;)

Any recommendations on a new battery? Anyone have good luck getting a larger battery to fit?

Shoria LFX14.

Edited by billdirt1

Cbus , unfortunately the best and only way to tell if a battery is any good is to have it load tested , it can drop a cell and still charge , but wont cranck anything . the link you put up says the bracket is for an S model due to the SM having a larger wheel , I dont know what model you ride , so be aware of that . I bought the bracket off of eddie which uses the stock mount and fitted a 10 amp gel mat battery from Motobatt which I could highly recommend . But if you want to save weight the shorai is a very good product , greg

• Like 1

Cbus , unfortunately the best and only way to tell if a battery is any good is to have it load tested , it can drop a cell and still charge , but wont cranck anything . the link you put up says the bracket is for an S model due to the SM having a larger wheel , I dont know what model you ride , so be aware of that . I bought the bracket off of eddie which uses the stock mount and fitted a 10 amp gel mat battery from Motobatt which I could highly recommend . But if you want to save weight the shorai is a very good product , greg

Thanks, good call about the bracket not fitting SM models, I skipped over that. My bike is a S but is running SM wheels.