Sign in to follow this  

Oil leaking from starter gear cover

So I just changed out my stator and after re assembling I'm now slowly weeping oil out if the bottom of the cover the oring was good when I put it back on why would it be doing this?

Alright thanks a lot I'll check it when I get a chance

Don't buy oem. They want like $20 for that o ring. This is the one that fits. 10 cents with $5 shipping. I would do hyperlink but I'm on mobile. I ordered a few sizes when I was in the same spot because nobody knew of an alternative to the OEM.

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_23_24&products_id=1166

From my quoted post, the o-ring you require is

BS 1806 size ref 148 (69.52 ID 2.62mm section dia)

Dunno if BS (Bristish Standard) O-rings are available in the USA

The size of the Starter clutch cover O-Ring groove is 69.70mm dia

You want a little bit of stretch on the O-Ring when fitted (hence the 69.52 of the above O-Ring), and you want something close to 2.5mm dia in order to get the sqaush on it to make it seal

The OE Suzuki O-ring is very soft

Very likely you will get a std 70 shore hardness O-ring off the shelf, so it makes it hard to re-fit the cover

I now use the 3 screws and gradually tighten them down evenly to push the cover into the housing

I pinched the O-ring myself when I reinstalled the cover. I found the o-rings that come with the oil filters for the GM 2.2 fit perfect. Just an idea if you want to pick one locally.