Sign in to follow this  

hesitation after Daves mods

I have read a lot about performing the Daves mods, followed the instructions to the letter! The bike really came to life so thank everyone for all the helpful posts. The only problem is when I whack the throttle open I get a little hesitation before it starts pulling correctly.  55/160 keihen jets, de smogged , snorkel removed  with a DG O series muffler . The 08 xr 650l has 10,000 miles on it....So, what did I miss? All help appreciated as always

IMG-20140412-00054.jpg

If you did the oem needle than try the fuei screw out a little. If no luck get the 58 pilot..I run the 58/160 with DJ needle at #4 clip...pulls like a red mule.....

Dave's mods are the nuts!!

when you mess with the carb, you might cause an air leak at the boot seal on the front or rear of the carb. I know I've been screwing around for hours trying to get both boots to hold. Then had the bright idea to loosen the front connection(3 allen screw) at the rear of the motor and this became an even bigger PIA to get it back on.

Anyway, look closely with a good lite at the front and rear connections to assure they are aligned and fully engaged. and tight. 

Thanks for the tips guys, I have a DJ needle and thought about installing it when I had it broken down...wish I would have. I will play with the fuel screw today and see what happens. Also will check the boot seals again to make sure I got them seated properly. I do not want to pull that carb again! Will post results, and thanks again. Forgot to mention I am at basically sea level up to 1500+ for nearly all my riding

Naty, how are your shinkos doing for you? got about a thousand on mine and am very pleased.

Thanks for the tips guys, I have a DJ needle and thought about installing it when I had it broken down...wish I would have. I will play with the fuel screw today and see what happens. Also will check the boot seals again to make sure I got them seated properly. I do not want to pull that carb again! Will post results, and thanks again. Forgot to mention I am at basically sea level up to 1500+ for nearly all my riding

Naty, how are your shinkos doing for you? got about a thousand on mine and am very pleased.

my experience trying to get the rear airbox rubber to stay on the carb:

i spent several hours trying different ways to get the filter box rubber to stay on the rear of the carb. the SOB kept slipping back, then when i'd ride it would slip further back and leak. PIA.

Finally I had to remove all the airbox fasteners and wedge a 3/4" board behind the airbox(to force it toward carb). I also had to replace the OEMclamp with a hoseclamp cause that sumbitch wouldn't hold. Pulled the board out and refastened the airbox bolts and so far so good. 

I can tell you this......don't remove the front adapter from the engine(3 allen bolts) unless you want to get aggravated. My plan was to try to get the carb to move back so i could get the rear clamp to hold. Naturally it didn't work.The bottom allen was an exercise in getting pissed off (with the carb in place). Had to cut an allen wrench to a stub move it a hair at a time.

you can inspect the rubber front and rear of carb(with a good light) and tell whether they are seated correctly. Mine was hesitating a speed and sucked water in when it rained. 

Shinko 705s

4 or 5 sets later, I don't have to say i love em for the kind of riding I do......twisties. Once in a while a fireroad and they do alright for a little light duty.

I like 28psi front, 30psi rear but if you're off road, lower psi accordingly.

3500 miles rear, 5000 miles fronts because rubber is soft and sticky. And, the price is right huh.

ok, cured the leak at the rear of the carb. Thanks for the heads up, I would've sworn I had that right. Back to jetsrus for a 58 slow jet, and im going to try the DJ needle also

As for the 705 shinkos, not so proud of them now. 100 miles of gravel and logging roads yesterday, didn't air down enough and it cost me a left side shroud and mirror. sore this morning...live and learn huh? God commuters tho

ok, cured the leak at the rear of the carb. Thanks for the heads up, I would've sworn I had that right. Back to jetsrus for a 58 slow jet, and im going to try the DJ needle also

As for the 705 shinkos, not so proud of them now. 100 miles of gravel and logging roads yesterday, didn't air down enough and it cost me a left side shroud and mirror. sore this morning...live and learn huh? God commuters tho

sorry for the crash. SUCKS big time!

you might be better off with 244s since 705s are street grippers.  I know.......now ya tell me huh!

Commuting........depends on how far and how curvy, Too much straight up wears centers, as does compression or engine braking.for rear tires.

Please update this and let us know if the jets fixed your hesitation problem. I complained about the same scenario a few months back and the general consensus was "that's how CV carbs act; buy an FCR". Maybe I should be looking for a leak around the carb instead?

I have the Shinko 700's front and rear and I think they are a good 50/50 tire. I'm confident on pavement and gravel roads with them. I ride offroad mostly and so far they have been ok. There have been more than a few times I've wished for more aggressive tires through, especially on slick, rocky hill climbs. When it wears out I'll probably try the 244 since it is a little more aggressive and will probably suit my riding style a little better.

Jonathon,

Definitely check for leaks around the carb! I wouldve sworn I had it right but upon close inspection with a good light...not so much. After another hour of wrestling and cursing and wedging the airbox ( thanks again nate) I got it sealed and it really helped. Ordered the 58 today so when I get around to tearing it apart again I will update this and let you know how it runs.

Jonathon,

In the past I have used a combustible aerosol, such as carb cleaner. Then simply listen for the engine idle to change...LAST RESORT THO! Remember how flammable that stuff is safety glasses and fire extinguisher are a must. However there are some very sharp people on this site and I am certain someone can give a better idea.I would hate to hear you burned your bike down.

waiting on my jets...

Please update this and let us know if the jets fixed your hesitation problem. I complained about the same scenario a few months back and the general consensus was "that's how CV carbs act; buy an FCR". Maybe I should be looking for a leak around the carb instead?

I have the Shinko 700's front and rear and I think they are a good 50/50 tire. I'm confident on pavement and gravel roads with them. I ride offroad mostly and so far they have been ok. There have been more than a few times I've wished for more aggressive tires through, especially on slick, rocky hill climbs. When it wears out I'll probably try the 244 since it is a little more aggressive and will probably suit my riding style a little better.

as far as a leak around the carb, most likely all you need to do is get a good light and inspect the front and rear connectors to assure that they are fully over the carb lips. If they are, you won't see any of the carb lip. if they are fully covering the lips. Just check the screws to make sure they are snug. Then if you want to double check, start the engine and spray water mist around the rubbers to see if you get a sputter. 

My carb rubber problem occurred because of an electrical short which caused severe bucking during rain. This shook the motor so violently that it pulled the rear of the carb loose from the airbox rubber which i didn't notice until I looked carefully with a light after experiencing a miss during rain.