Sign in to follow this  

Brand New xr650

Hey guys so there is an xr650 that the seller is claiming has 83 original miles and the pictures support that. He is asking dealership prices or damn near but it is obviously not new. It is a 13 year old bike that has been sitting most of it's life. He said he got some regular maintenance on it over the years but my question is how do bikes age? can the motor oxidize heavily? Can the rubber be shot completely in every seal? What are tail tail signs if I decide to consider this bike?

Hey guys so there is an xr650 that the seller is claiming has 83 original miles and the pictures support that. He is asking dealership prices or damn near but it is obviously not new. It is a 13 year old bike that has been sitting most of it's life. He said he got some regular maintenance on it over the years but my question is how do bikes age? can the motor oxidize heavily? Can the rubber be shot completely in every seal? What are tail tail signs if I decide to consider this bike?

probly needs new seals on everything if I had to guess

Well I have had an xr400 before that was the same way but that was air cooled. Never had any problems with seals surprisingly. I have heard of coolant getting acidic over time though. Also it started in colorado went to texas and back up to colorado. I can't imagine only 83 miles being put on the bike with maintenance over 13 years but the thing is literally show room condition. Any experience with these bikes after that many years? 

Is it an XR650R or L?  If it is an R, how can you be sure that it only has 83 miles without an odometer?... and it wouldn't be that hard to fake on an L, but DMV records might help.  In my mind, the big question is has it been started and run up to temp regularly over the years?  I bought one of my XRR's brand new in Nov. of '99 and I have never had a problem with any seals yet, but it has been run, ridden and serviced regularly.  My other 2000 XRR was bought used in 2003 and used the same way with no problems.  The seals tend to do better over time when they are kept moist, If they are allowed to dry out, they will deteriorate much quicker.  If the seals and everything else is in good order, then it is probably worth a premium, but only you can decide if the asking price is worth it to you.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4483883295.html

For riding,  I recommend that you find a nice, low-hour specimen for 3500-4000 (tops).  It will cost  serious money the first season you seriously ride that bike.  The bike in the listing is carrying a $2500 dollar new-car-smell premium.

Edited by oldmanrip

Is it an XR650R or L?  If it is an R, how can you be sure that it only has 83 miles without an odometer?

That's a good point, I just have to take his word. My idea was if I'm going to look at it, look at the tires, they always have the year that they were made printed on them. The picture shows very minimal wear even some hairs on them. If the year on the tires is 2001 then the bike most likely has only 83 miles and not much more than that. About the regular warmups, I have had an XR400 that I know was never started for at least ten years and I never had a seal issue. Not saying I'm going to be that lucky again but who knows. 

As for Oldmanrip, I think that I have to agree with you, I am paying 2500 to smell a new seat for a week. But what do you mean it will cost me serious money the first season?

I agree about the seals.  I have a 97 xr400 that was ridden two seasons and then parked for 13 years....no problems.  Also have an 04 xr400 in the same condition as the xr650 in the listing and no seal problems at all.  For one thing, when they sit, the oil drains down and fills the crank house, probably covering most of the seals.

As to your question, ride the bike very little, i.e., a scuff here and there, a new back tire, and it is no longer a museum piece.  Its premium value is precarious and depends on you not riding it at all.  However, xr650r's are incredible bikes and this one is 4000 cheaper than many current new offerings.  You can figure it different ways I guess.  I have a 400 in the same condition and I don't ride it.  If the old 2-stroke yamaha 175 enduros from the 70's have a following today, imagine how desireable mint specimens of xr Hondas will be in 30 years....but then again, does it really matter?

Oldmanrip, I wish I had the money to have museum pieces and riding bikes. Your going to get this one aren't you? I was a little worried about posting this topic but if you beat me to it, fair game. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Don't worry, I am not going to buy this bike, Its far too expensive for me and I'm becoming increasingly concerned about our economy, energy, atmosphere, future liberties, and culture in general to drop this kind of cash on a toy.    My  next $6000 is going towards an Elio car, a green house, or a farm, or something that may provide some income as we auger in as a nation.

Had a local  dealer selling an older 650  R  for big  bucks  just like this guy  claiming(bragging)  50  original miles

He was hurt when I told him it was a trip meter  and  it didn't mean squat   LOL

at least the one in these pics is clean enough to be credible but  $$$$ 

Edited by Zimman

Had a local  dealer selling an older 650  R  for big  bucks  just like this guy  claiming(bragging)  50  original miles

He was hurt when I told him it was a trip meter  and  it didn't mean squat   LOL

at least the one in these pics is clean enough to be credible but  $$$$ 

Well see the trick lies in looking at the tires. If they are dated the same year as the bike, chances are it's legit. I haven't asked the guy, figured I would just check it out. I don't know though oldmanrip really makes a good point and this is the second really nice 650r that has surfaced on craigslist in the past month and the last one went for 3000 so maybe I should hold my guns. 

Well see the trick lies in looking at the tires. If they are dated the same year as the bike, chances are it's legit. I haven't asked the guy, figured I would just check it out. I don't know though oldmanrip really makes a good point and this is the second really nice 650r that has surfaced on craigslist in the past month and the last one went for 3000 so maybe I should hold my guns. 

The rear tire is not the original stock tire. It looks like a Maxxis IT. The stock tire is a Dunlop K695.

The rear tire is not the original stock tire. It looks like a Maxxis IT. The stock tire is a Dunlop K695

Hmm thats a good point... Didn't the dealerships offer street legal models with blinkers, plate holder, etc? If they did then they had to have put on a DOT tire over their OHV model. Is the Dunlop K695 DOT approved? If not then maybe this could be the tire they went with. 

Edited by thumpthis723

Hmm thats a good point... Didn't the dealerships offer street legal models with blinkers, plate holder, etc? If they did then they had to have put on a DOT tire over their OHV model. Is the Dunlop K695 DOT approved? If not then maybe this could be the tire they went with. 

The dealer might have installed the Baja Designs kit for the purchaser and sold them the DOT rear knobby as part of the street legal package. But the front tire looks stock and it's a non-DOT tire like the K695. Isn't pretty easy to get off-road bikes street plated in Colorado?