Sign in to follow this  

milky white oil issue

Hello

I have a 2007 crf250r engine that just got rebuilt 2 races ago. the engine has sat for 2 years after that race. so this week i decided to start it up again and make sure it was still working. before i started it i changed the oil and transmission oil and and the old oil looked fine. then i put a new filter on and new oil in both sides. started up fine however after i check the oil in it it was milky white. 

thinking it was maybe condensation or fuel sitting on the piston and leaking down past the rings i put oil in it again and started it up and it came out the same.

i checked the antifreeze level and it does not seem to be changing at all there is also nothing coming out of the weeping hole on the engine. i also drained the transmission side and measured it. the level in that did not change and the oil was perfectly fine. so does that mean it cannot be the water pump seal?

after this i put oil in it again thinking i needed to wash the white oil out of it and after starting it up the engine wouldn't stay running on the idle it did stay running on the last time. also when we looked at the antifreeze hose while it was running and coming out of the pump side was a milky liquid that looked like oil in the antifreeze hose. after i checked the oil it came out an even more milky white than before. and the transmission oil was still perfectly fine.

i then took off the head and cylinder to look at the gaskets they are OEM and they looked fine from what i could see. nothing looked to be leaking past them. piston rings also still looked brand new as they only have maybe an hour on them at the most from 2 years ago.

i checked the cylinder and could see no cracks from what i could see with my eye. 

we also put the head and cylinder together and pressurized the coolant system and nothing was leaking out anywhere and it held pressure.

I have extinguished all possibilities that i know of that may be causing this engine to do this. however i am hoping someone here can think of something to try.

thanks

would you say that it could still be coming from the head or base gasket? i did look at them, however i didn't know what i was looking for or even if one would be able to tell they were blown by looking at them

i just wanted to rule out any other possibilities before i buy 30$ in gaskets to have it do the same thing all over again. and would a leaky gasket cause a good bit of oil to be going through the antifreeze lines? and do they make different sized OEM gaskets? not sure if the race shop did any head or cylinder work that would change the spacing and i would need to get special sized gaskets. the ones that have always come out of it from there look the same to me.. i'm not sure with the 4 strokes im used to the 250 2 strokes haha.

thanks for the responses mdwsr i appreciate it

Edited by swiftracer74

ordered and got my oem head and base gaskets over the weekend and started the engine up. was only running for maybe a couple mins on idle and still the oil was milky white and there appeared to be oil in the antifreeze lines... any help on this issue would be great.

IMG_8129_zps335c18ae.jpeg

IMG_5317_zpse0323f0d.jpeg

I cleaned the case out with carb cleaner to flush everything out and from what i could see in with the flashlight it was all out. and i cleaned the filter area then let it sit for 2 days to dry out completely. the oil that came out did look pretty bad. the same if not worse than before. however there were bubbles at the top. i am wondering if this could be gas and not coolant? is there a way to tell a difference? 

also as a side note when checking the oil it had almost the consistancy of water it was so runny

Edited by swiftracer74