My New Project '08 Build

I have been going through a lot lately. Small bout with cancer that is gone now. Even worse, my nephew who I am very very close to has been in a coma for the last 3 monts due to a severe head trauma he suffered thanks to a peice of shit drunk driver. My newphew was transferred to a Northern California facility that speliaizes in severe head trauma about one moth ago so I am unable to see him nearly as often now.. To stay distracted and to keep thoughts of murder out of my head, I decided to take on a build-from-scratch project...

I have looked for years for a like new '08 to no avail. The last one I looked at had approx 2-4 hours on it but the guy would not budge below 4200.00 so I passed on it. I recently picked up a 2008 with a '04 motor in it. It was an '08 bought brand new and then had the motor pulled for something else. The guy ended up putting the '04 motor, swingarm, shock, and forks on it and tried riding it but the motor was clapped. I got the whole thing on a trade and pulled all the '04 parts and sold it all piece by piece and made some good money off of it.

I then bought all the 08 parts. I found a pristine swingarm, a brand new shock, brand new linkage, and a killer set of David Pingree/ProCircuit '08 Showa fork all done up with a Pro Circuit Nationall kit, all on ebay.

Our Mod Shawn serviced the fork and valved/springed it for my weight, riding type, ability etc. He serviced the rear shock and added a Factory Connection high speed spring

My almost new Excel/Talon wheels currently on my '02 are going on it Along with Ironman sprockets and a DID VT2 X-Ring chain

The plastics, tank, airbox, subframe are all like new. ASI Radiators

My 2011 front brakes with the CRFStuff 280mm rotor kit currently on my '02 is going on it. Complete 2011 rear brakes w/CRFStuff rear rotor is going on it

The motor is brand new, New cases, all new bearings and seals, new crank, cylinder, new CP 13.5:1 pistionetc etc.

The tranny is at Finished Racing right now getting Cryo treated and REM/ISF finished

The new head is going to Pro 1 Racing to have new copper seats and guides installed. The seats will get "Short Block Charlies" bad ass radius cut and then Ferrea Black Nitrided intake valves, Ferrea springs, locators, retainers etc. New OEM exhaust valves.

A Stage ll Hot Cam and finally a MRD Exhaust. Oh man I cannot wait to ride this bad boy!

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

Edited by mrmoto35

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mrmoto, I see its been a few weeks since your post hope everythings ok. I am really sorry to hear about your fight with cancer but really glad to hear you beat it. I am also thinking of your nephew and hope he pulls through and gets back to good health. You know that I have been through some crap too I really wish you would have messaged me or something. You were nothing but supportive during my tough times and for my build too! I don't only feel obligated to be there for you I would be honored.

The build sounds really sweet man, if anything like your 02 this 08 will be a well oiled machine! Cant wait to see it finished as well.

Ryan

• Like 1

Hey Ryan how are you doing man?!! It is good to hear from you. The cancer is pretty much behind me now. They have even extended my routine survailance from 3 month to 6 months. So it get a CAT scan and blood drwn every 6 months for the next 5 years. After 5 years it will only be once a year. It is no big deal as long as nothing new is found. And nothing will be!

My nephew is a different story. He is still in a coma. He moves around and his eyes open sometimes but it is all primal brain stem activity or what they call "posturing". Nothing purposeful as of yet. Next week he they are going to take him off of the last of the sedation meds and then start to give him "wake up" meds.

The 08 is going to be really nice. The motor will be completly brand new. The bike will pretty much be brand new. I ditched the Hot Cam and bought a cam from Ron Hamp. I pretty much have everything except the cam is still coming and I need to send the last of the OEM parts order forms to my buddy at Honda.

It is good to hear from you man, I am glad to see you back at it!!

Honda nailed it with the '08. It is considred by many to be the best out of the box, in stock form, production mx'r made to date. Great chassis, their most powerful motor at nearly 50hp, Awsome suspension. The biggest flaw with the stock 08 is the mid range harshness in the forks. 

For me it is the best bike that fits my budget. Sure I can afford a new bike but that would be a waste of money on me. I will admit that when I am at the dealer I look hard at the new bike but I take a deep breath and walk away fast before it;s too late ?

"The 2007 and 2008 Honda CRF450s are considered two of the best production bikes ever made" - MXA

• Like 2

Hey Ryan how are you doing man?!! It is good to hear from you. The cancer is pretty much behind me now. They have even extended my routine survailance from 3 month to 6 months. So it get a CAT scan and blood drwn every 6 months for the next 5 years. After 5 years it will only be once a year. It is no big deal as long as nothing new is found. And nothing will be!

My nephew is a different story. He is still in a coma. He moves around and his eyes open sometimes but it is all primal brain stem activity or what they call "posturing". Nothing purposeful as of yet. Next week he they are going to take him off of the last of the sedation meds and then start to give him "wake up" meds.

The 08 is going to be really nice. The motor will be completly brand new. The bike will pretty much be brand new. I ditched the Hot Cam and bought a cam from Ron Hamp. I pretty much have everything except the cam is still coming and I need to send the last of the OEM parts order forms to my buddy at Honda.

It is good to hear from you man, I am glad to see you back at it!!

I am not doing to bad, as you know I had a stem cell transplant in December. Well it didn't work and came back in April so they have me on this new drug and I had 20 radiation treatments which I finished last Tuesday. Things are looking ok as the disease responded I just have to hope it finally stays away. I have a PET/CT July 15th wish me luck!

That's really good to hear that you are getting scans every 6 months, your onc must be very confident. I will always keep you in my prayers. Best thing to do is put it behind you, never forget but sure does make you appreciate life more.

Please keep us posted about your nephew, I am really pulling for him.

I am going to PM you my phone number, if you ever need to talk or vent or whatever feel free to hit me up. We are now brothers like it or not!

I have still been riding, through every chemo, all through radiation, I refuse to give up!

Looking forward to seeing the new beast once completed, motor sounds sick!

Ryan

I am not doing to bad, as you know I had a stem cell transplant in December. Well it didn't work and came back in April so they have me on this new drug and I had 20 radiation treatments which I finished last Tuesday. Things are looking ok as the disease responded I just have to hope it finally stays away. I have a PET/CT July 15th wish me luck!

That's really good to hear that you are getting scans every 6 months, your onc must be very confident. I will always keep you in my prayers. Best thing to do is put it behind you, never forget but sure does make you appreciate life more.

Please keep us posted about your nephew, I am really pulling for him.

I am going to PM you my phone number, if you ever need to talk or vent or whatever feel free to hit me up. We are now brothers like it or not!

I have still been riding, through every chemo, all through radiation, I refuse to give up!

Looking forward to seeing the new beast once completed, motor sounds sick!

Ryan

Well hell I PM'd ya before I saw this post. No worries man you just keep doing what your doing and and beat that shit back. Keep focused on your goals and for damn sure keep riding!.

Yeah the 08 is going to be one plush ride. I only hope I am worthy of it. One of my goals is to triple the jump in the video. We ride PALA all the time and this jump It is really too easy to double-double but still fun but I haven't had the balls to try and triple it on my 02. On the 08 I will go for it (I hope lol)

Sweet man! Glad your doing better. Hope that drunk driver gets caught!

He was arrested at the scene. Made bail 2 days later. He has been charged with feleny DUI with an injury. Oh trust me, there have been times I have dreamed of gutting that scumbag or sending a .308 down range after him. But that would not do anything to help my nephew, I could end up in prison, and I really have no desire to have the death of another human being on my soul. But still, you think about it...

Well hell I PM'd ya before I saw this post. No worries man you just keep doing what your doing and and beat that shit back. Keep focused on your

goals and for damn sure keep riding!.

Yeah the 08 is going to be one plush ride. I only hope I am worthy of it. One of my goals is to triple the jump in the video. We ride PALA all the time and this jump It is really too easy to double-double but still fun but I haven't had the balls to try and triple it on my 02. On the 08 I will go for it (I hope lol)

That jump is crazzzzzzyy!!! Edited by Razman11

We usually park right beside it. It doesn't look as long in person as it does in that video. Even so quad'ing it is no fricken joke as you can see. I would be off the planet stoked to triple it. The thing is the approach is also shorter in person then in the video, and that hill steeper then it looks. You need to come off that hill moving and then you hit that little jump right out of the corner off the hill and you need to be charging at that thing pretty hard 4th gear. Like I said, double-double is pretty easy in mellow 3rd gear. Actually the hard part about the double is not over-shooting it last half. I have done it a couple times on my '02 and hurt both ankles and my wrist lol

• Like 1

They are reopening it. 2 of the 3 hurdles have been cleared. And yes clearing that entire jump will always be nothing more then a fantasy. Tripling it not so much. I am not the fatest dude out there but I have never been afraid of jumps. Might never happen but who know's...

I just got my tranny and balancer back from getting cryo treated and REM/ISF finished from  Finished Racing in Arizona. Terry does great work. He did my 250r as well, Here is a pic. Not a good pic at all but basically everything looks like it has been chromed. It is so smoth the it feels like the parts are covered in oil. Should shift like butter now :ride:

DSCF0870.jpg

Edited by mrmoto35
  • Like 3

I just got my tranny and balancer back from getting cryo treated and REM/ISF finished from Finished Racing in Arizona. Terry does great work. He did my 250r as well, Here is a pic. Not a good at all but basically everything looks like it has been chromed. It is so smoth the it feels like the parts are covered in oil. Should shift like butter now :ride:

DSCF0870.jpg

How much is it for the REM/ISF finishing?

Well hell I PM'd ya before I saw this post. No worries man you just keep doing what your doing and and beat that shit back. Keep focused on your goals and for damn sure keep riding!.

Congrats on the retro rocket! I hot rodded my 07, with head work, cam, hi comp piston and added a Rekluse auto clutch...it rocks!!! MXA just built the shit out of an 08 and will have their full test in the August or September issue. I have been a Honda guy since 1973 when my forward thinking parents purchased the 1st year XR 75 with the fat gray SL style gas tank from Huntington Honda in Huntington Beach, Ca.; for those of you old enough to reminisce about that bike or infamous Honda dealer. I recently rode my buddies son's 14 KX450F and as much as I hate to admit it, that is the best open class engine I have ever twisted the throttle on; including my Service Honda CR500R. I know this sounds really stupid, but it lays down it's power in a magical way and I now understand why MXA describes it as luscious...it fits. 

Anyways, you have got a set of brass balls to hit that triple dude. I promised myself to stop taking those kind of risks back in 03 when I looped out on the triple step up at Lake Elsinore's main track. BTW, what is the tip to tip distance on that sucker? I'm guessing at least 110'.

Lastly, can't wait to hear your review of the beast!

Have fun.

Edited by corona52