Sign in to follow this  

Gas in Oil and cant find reason.

Hey Group,

Smell my dip stick ;)

It smelt like gas... So I poped the carb of expecticting to find sticky or any problem at all with float and cant seem to find a reason. I went ahead and ordered all the new parts(seat, oring, needle) but was wondering if there was any way to tell what is failing here.

'01 DR-Z400e

No vaccum hose from tank, moded

Petcock is good

Keihin 39mm FCR

Thanks all

-M

A certain gas smell in oil is normal, it does absorb carbon byproducts as a result of combustion. Now if you dump your oil and the gas smell about knocks you out, then its not normal, and probably very high percentage wise.

But fuel in the oil, is not an issue, unless its flooded the motor in gas or the percentage is so high its cut the lubrication ability.

If you are really concerned, do a drain on a hot engine(a good run), and send it off for analysis. That will tell you the fuel percentage in the oil, most times its up to 2% which is not a worry, now up to 5% or over then a worry

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply.

I am already replacing the whole float so I will do an oil change, check for smell, and monitor. Outside of a fauly float is there any other way your for gas to get into the oil and fully contaminate it?

-M

well you have the (needle and seat) that can wear and leak or get blockage hung up in it, and then you have the float itself that actuates the needle and seat. but that's about it.

• Like 1

Turn your petcock to off when you park your bike. If you have kids or if your friends come over and look at the bike make sure nobody is cranking the throttle open and close. That would pump gas into the intake and end up in your oil