Sign in to follow this  

Portable Water Tank for Enclosed Trailer

My latest enclosed trailer setup requirements included going small.  I wanted to be able to fit the trailer into a normal sized home garage. I found the Continental Cargo RS58SA 5x8, which had a low enough height to fit inside my garage. The door is not a ramp door and the opening measurement would suggest a full sized dirt bike wouldn't fit,  but my KTM 450SXF fits fine.  I can fit up to three bikes in the thing, two full size plus one mini. 

The other requirement was to be able to take enough of my own water  to the riding area to wash two bikes at the end of the day.  I asked around and searched for examples of mounting a water tank to the A-Frame of the trailer tongue.  I was advised against doing this due to the weight of a full tank of water would load the hitch. I went ahead anyway and found a 35 Gallon tank, welded up a base and used 2" straps to attach it. Worst case for me is that if it was to heavy I would just remove the tank and use the base for something else.  Its working great, I have clearance for full turns and my crank.  At just over 8lbs per gallon of water,  the 35 gallon tank weights about 280lbs when full.  I'm towing the trailer with a '11 Grand Caravan with the trailer package and its handles and stops fine and the rear door on the van opens with no clearance issues.

I'm sharing this idea incase others want to do the same thing. The tank is a ACE Roto-Mold model FS0035-18, cost was around $90. This provides around 15 minutes of wash time using a power washer at 2.4GPM.

I also attached a portable 20L jerry can to the side of the trailer so that there is more room inside and no fumes inside, it may look old school but it is by far the best jerry can I've ever had. The mount shown is a smittybilt and is lockable.  I had to reinforce the mounting area, but this also worked out well. See pics.

DSC00155.JPG

DSC00159.JPG

DSC00161.JPG

DSC00161.JPG

DSC00156.JPG

DSC00162.JPG

Edited by speedbump49
  • Like 3

I have though about hanging 6-8 inch PVC pipe with elbows and U turns and running under the trailer then put a water valve at a end cap.

Edited by lumpy790

Lumpy, I think I just figured out what your idea is. Are you thinking about using the PVC pipe as the storage medium for the water instead of a water tank?  If so that's a novel idea! You may have flow challenges and I'm not sure what capacity you would end up with. Even with my tank, I have to prime the hose to my washer and the flow needs to keep up with the 2.4 GPM demand.  Still, if I understand your idea correctly your would distribute the weight of the water nicely. How many gallons of water can one 8' x 6" PVC pipe hold? You might be able to get 4 or 5 lengths under most trailers and maybe more, does that come close 35 gallons?  I would say go at least 35 or go home :-)

Pi x radius squared x length

3.14159 x 3 x 3 x 8 x 12

= 2714 cubic inches in one 8' length of 6" pipe

1 gallon = 231 cubic inches

11.75 gallons per 8' length of 6" pipe

Pi x radius squared x length

3.14159 x 3 x 3 x 8 x 12

= 2714 cubic inches in one 8' length of 6" pipe

1 gallon = 231 cubic inches

11.75 gallons per 8' length of 6" pipe

Good idea never thought of that! And I own a plumbing company.