No doubt a Guinness World Record

I just finished wrestling with a Michelin 63 rear tire for my brp. Started a 1 pm and finished at 5 pm!!! That damn thing had the tensile strength of my first wife...jaysus what a misery!! The tube application was challenging, not enough room to locate the stem and secure it...my hands just would not cooperate. Finally once in, the rest was history. I believe that this particular record may just last for several generations...lol.

Those videos that show tires that look like licorice ...that doesn't exist in our everyday world....ohh by the way...you do need 3 tire spoons....!!!

I just finished wrestling with a Michelin 63 rear tire for my brp. Started a 1 pm and finished at 5 pm!!! That damn thing had the tensile strength of my first wife...jaysus what a misery!! The tube application was challenging, not enough room to locate the stem and secure it...my hands just would not cooperate. Finally once in, the rest was history. I believe that this particular record may just last for several generations...lol.

Those videos that show tires that look like licorice ...that doesn't exist in our everyday world....ohh by the way...you do need 3 tire spoons....!!!

yessir,PIA for sure....if you squeeze the beads together with a small clamp so that they are in the center of the rim, it gives you the room you need to get the other end off. 

yessir,PIA for sure....if you squeeze the beads together with a small clamp so that they are in the center of the rim, it gives you the room you need to get the other end off.

ahhhhhh now you tell me!!!...never thought of that...great tip!

take the valve stem out if you just release the air it doesn't completely drain

take the valve stem out if you just release the air it doesn't completely drain

been there..done that...these tires are so damn rigid that to manually install them is not an easy task...believe me. The Shinko I installed 4 months ago was a breeze compared to this Michelin...

ahhhhhh now you tell me!!!...never thought of that...great tip!

Don't worry you'll probably forget it before your next attempt....haha.

I've had my share of tire changing issues no doubt. If you don't do it very often, it helps to watch some vids right before you attempt it. Another helper is to spray tire foam around the beads once you break them loose from the rim. That's a tire foam used for making tires look new. They slip right off. Probably not good to use for install but i did it anyway. 

Don't worry you'll probably forget it before your next attempt....haha.

I've had my share of tire changing issues no doubt. If you don't do it very often, it helps to watch some vids right before you attempt it. Another helper is to spray tire foam around the beads once you break them loose from the rim. That's a tire foam used for making tires look new. They slip right off. Probably not good to use for install but i did it anyway.

I use Amorall..works great...but this damn tire was soooo firm that it took all I could muster...and I am strong for my age...lol.

I had contemplated my Harley tire change before this episode....but will let the tire shop do it...just way too much stress...

I use Amorall..works great...but this damn tire was soooo firm that it took all I could muster...and I am strong for my age...lol.

I had contemplated my Harley tire change before this episode....but will let the tire shop do it...just way too much stress...

yeah, Amorall tire foam is what I used. Couldn't think of the name.

Really shouldn't have to use a lot of muscle if everything is positioned right. Several yrs. back I bought a $90 tire changer at Harbor Freight. Now I get to change tires for everyone. haha

yeah, Amorall tire foam is what I used. Couldn't think of the name.

Really shouldn't have to use a lot of muscle if everything is positioned right. Several yrs. back I bought a $90 tire changer at Harbor Freight. Now I get to change tires for everyone. haha

I had little difficulty with the Shinko 705...but this Michelin just was obnoxious to mount Natey...by the time I got the tube stem alligned my hands felt like flippers. Breaking the bead was easy....it was the tube install that gave me such grief....when it was partially inflated there was no way I could get the tube adjusted properly....no shit!!

I had little difficulty with the Shinko 705...but this Michelin just was obnoxious to mount Natey...by the time I got the tube stem alligned my hands felt like flippers. Breaking the bead was easy....it was the tube install that gave me such grief....when it was partially inflated there was no way I could get the tube adjusted properly....no shit!!

I had at least 5 sets of shinko 705s .........cheap and sticky. I love them.

I've been there with the valve stem shit. We need a little valve stem cap with a wire attached. Then we could feed the wire though the hole and use it to pull the valve stem  through. Then we wouldn't have to sacrifice our fingers huh.

I had at least 5 sets of shinko 705s .........cheap and sticky. I love them.

I've been there with the valve stem shit. We need a little valve stem cap with a wire attached. Then we could feed the wire though the hole and use it to pull the valve stem through. Then we wouldn't have to sacrifice our fingers huh.

by gawd man..your on to something there...perhaps glue a small zip tie to an old stem cap, use that ....but your absolutely right.

?  ?  

you guys are funny ?

http://www.mylittletool.com/tube-snake.html

i`ve had one of these for years..don`t rush out and patent what`s been out there since i was a kid..

can`t imagine anyone owning a dual sport that changes his own tires numerous times a year not having this..

smarten up :devil:

? ?

B

Edited by brianhare

At least your fingers won't be as soft and pink as the rest of the crowd in the office has, that shows who's the men!

I use soap and water, tires slide fairly easy on the rim. You should try chinese tires like kings tire, that thing is not rubber! T63 is fairly soft compared to it

Edited by MCVL

by gawd man..your on to something there...perhaps glue a small zip tie to an old stem cap, use that ....but your absolutely right.

That is GREAT idea!! Patent that!

what I was thinking was a valve stem cap that has the little key on top(for removing the valve gut) so that you could run a wire down through the top and make a loop so that it can pull back though. I gotta to change tires shortly. I'll make one and see how it works. 

speaking of inventing shit, i spent several hours trying different ways to get the filter box rubber to stay on the rear of the carb. the SOB kept slipping back, then when i'd ride it would slip further back and leak. PIA.

Finally I had to remove all the airbox fasteners and wedge a 3/4" board behind the airbox(to force it toward carb). I also had to replace the OEM clamp with a hoseclamp cause that sumbitch wouldn't hold. Pulled the board out and refastened the airbox bolts and so far so good. 

I can tell you this......don't remove the front adapter from the engine(3 allen bolts) unless you want to get aggravated. My plan was to try to get the carb to move back so i could get the rear clamp to hold. Naturally it didn't work.The bottom allen was an exercise in getting pissed off (with the carb in place). Had to cut an allen wrench to a stub move it a hair at a time.

All told about 5 hours of frustrating bullshit, kinda like Doc's tire change event.

So...being a glutton for punishment...I rode my pig down to my project barn, just applied the decking and roofing...damn if I didn,t run over a roofing nail and had a flat this morning. Purchased a new heavy duty tube , but this time I baked that tire in the AZ sun for 5 hours.....went on like sweaty sex....1hour flat. A third tire spoon helps enormously....but heating that damn tire in the sun was the nuts! I am so pleased....might just get drunk tonight..lol

Edited by dochawken

I guess it didn't really take me that long to remove and install two tires a few weeks ago, compared to you guys.  I have one of those tools with a wire that screws into the valve stem to pull it through.  Takes about five seconds to get the valve stem through.

The only issue I seem to have is that even with doing everything the videos show, I still manage to pinch the tube on the rear tire.  I've done that the last three times I've installed a rear tire.  This time I used it as an opportunity to practice my flat repair.  I pulled the tube back out, patched it, then stuck it back in there.  I guess with more practice I'll be able to change a tire without damaging anything.